by DeeAberdeen Investigator
Investigator

Re: will 4GEE router allow me to connect to Hive and Hue outside the home

You say here that the EE router will work connected to the hive hub, you do not mention the speed requirements that is needed to make the hive system work. 

I am with EE Broadband (I am waiting for the mis - selling team to call) and no i can not support my hive system with EE.  I have spent 4 months dealing with problems since signing up with EE and Hive. The Hive system requires a 5.0 mbs Download Wi-fi speeds & more importantly a 1.5mbs upload. The upload of 1.5 mbs is vital as this allows you to live stream. 

Since being with EE I have had the line band. 2 faults found. My hive system does not have eno internet speed to handle me going in, my phone connecting to the Wi-fi & hive camera working correctly. My wired to router speed is 7.1mbs. But the hive camera doesn’t take a wire. I get various speeds from 6.78mbs Download & 1.28mbs upload. That upload difference is eno to make the hive system useless. Due to my experience I’d suggest going to BT. Paying a bit more & having a hive system you’re sure is working. Don’t trust advertised speeds. I was told 22.0mbs so it sounded good. Good luck 

@James_B wrote:

Hi @thefletch23,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I believe this setup should work, once the Hive Hub is connected to your router, you should be able to control your heating via the Hive app.

If you contact Hive support, they should be able to confirm this for you.

Thanks

James

6 REPLIES 6
Investigator

I have the bright box Home router.

Please excuse brevity email sent from an iPad.

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as phone numbers on the public board. Thanks!]

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DeeAberdeen: Do you have fixed EE Home BB over a landline or mobile BB as in this thread? What router have you?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Will Brighbox router allow me to connect to Hive and Hue outside the home

@DeeAberdeen: The thread you latched onto has no relevance to the Brightbox router & fixed Home BB. It was about limitations of mobile networks.

Do you have ADSL BB or Fibre with EE?

I cannot believe any home appliance would need at least 1.5 Meg upload. Many BBs don't go much above 1 Meg. Please show me where this technical requirement is stated by Hive?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Re: Will Brighbox router allow me to connect to Hive and Hue outside the home

Sorry I thought that even over 4G the speeds need to be mentioned. I’m on an old line with ASDL filter. No fibre in my area yet. l. I’ve had 4 months of hell. EE is my provider. See below email from hive:

Hi Dee,

Just to confirm what we spoke about earlier, you would need a minimum download of 5 mbs and 1.5mbs upload per camera you want to use. If the upload was less than 1.5mbs the camera would not be able to livestream at all.

Since the upload speed is too low (1.28 mbs whereas we would recommend 1.5mbs) for the camera to livestream, you would have to contact your internet provider to try get that speed increased.

Petras
Hive Team

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't get that speed increased. You are getting about the max. upstream you can get from ADSL. You would not get any more if you switched to BT or any other ISP. Anyway there's not a vast diff between 1.28 & 1.5 Meg.

I still don't believe those figures, It's effectively saying that 1000s of potential customers can't use Hive appliances just cuz they happen to be on ADSL. Where does Hive say those are its requirements when it sells its products? If it doesn't it is misrepresentation & unfit for purpose.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The writer of that doesn't what he's talking about. The 1.5+ Meg is for the download only.

See What do I need to have before I can start using Hive Camera?

To use the Hive Camera you will need: 

- An existing broadband connection with 1.5Mbps or higher
- An 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless router

When suppliers talk about 1 speed only they are talking about downstream only. The upstream will be much lower. Hardly any providers even mention the upstream speed as it's usually insignificant.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.