by ryanha Investigator
Investigator

Nest Products

Hi, could you tell me if Googles Nest products will work using your 4g router/connection. We have Nest Thermostats, Nest Cameras and Nest protect (Smoke/Co alarms) and I wanted to make sure this will all work before ordering the EE system.

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Nest Products

Hi @ryanha,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

I found this Nest support article which should help with your query.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That article is all about data usage but doesn't mention the other quirk of mobile networks.

You cannot control home appliances remotely over the EE mobile network unless their manufacturer provides some sort of Cloud-based solution that monitors them continuously.

This is cuz EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net by unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ryanha Investigator
Investigator

So this means no you can't use 4g EE with Nest! Are there any simple workarounds as I'm not super techie

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I said, only if Nest provide some sort of Cloud-based solution. Ask them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ryanha Investigator
Investigator

well in theory you only ever control the nest products via an app which in itself is cloud based. I guess it could work.

Excuse my stupidity but what is the question i need to ask them?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's not I'd call the Cloud; just the Internet.

Ask them:

• Do their devices "phone home" regularly?
  • Do they provide a website a/c & app where you can control their devices?
  • Tell them about the CGNAT issue.

by ryanha Investigator
Investigator

thanks I have posted to them so I'll have tp wait and see what their response is.

Thanks for your help

by
EE Employee

Let us know how you get on @ryanha

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.