cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

why won't a new ee SIM card not work in a phone locked to ee I bought off eBay?

Steviegitts63
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a 2nd hand Huawei P20 Pro off eBay which was meant to be unlocked, but it turned out to be locked EE. So I contacted the original owner who agreed to get it unlocked for me. They submitted an unlock request form to EE but was told about the delay due to the unlock team not working. After several weeks of waiting, and several messages between myself and the original owner nothing has happened to date. So I decided to switch to EE and ordered a SIM card (flex plan). When I put the SIM card in, it doesn't come up with the sim lock message any more, but it also doesn't come up with an EE network signal.This means I can't register the new sim because I can't get the verification code sent to me. Where do I go from here? I've had my "new" phone five weeks now, and I still can't use it! This is all so frustrating!!!  Anybody out there with advice, other than ringing customer care (opt 2, opt4) as Ive done a few times already. 

5 REPLIES 5
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@Steviegitts63 , Have you tried activating your new SIM card? You can do it here:

.https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/activate-sim

I know you have written that the original owner  said he requested the unlock code for you, but am wondering whether he really did and whether he really was the original owner.

You may want to do a check to see if the phone has not been blacklisted, as this often happens when phones are bought on places such as EBay, not saying this has happened, but is possible.

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Steviegitts63   The sim can self activate also this usually takes 4-5 hours but up to 24 hours.  You could try turning the device off/on a few time as this does help.  

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Steviegitts63,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Is your SIM up and running yet?

Thanks

James

Hi James. Sadly it's not working for me. I checked the Imei on a couple of
websites and they both say that the phone is blacklisted. So it looks like
I've been had! Thanks for your time though. Kind regards
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Steviegitts63,

I'm really sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be able to request a refund via eBay/Paypal.

Thanks

James