by stevekdavis Investigator
Investigator

warning: EE esim does not work fully on 3G, only 4G

Be aware that there is a big (IMHO) issue with an esim.

I switched my physical sim to an esim yesterday (picked up from EE store, all painless) and worked fine on 4G however I saw an issue on my drive home where 4G went and no 3G was displayed in its place which is what normally happens.

I thought this was strange and saw the same again today on my drive into work.

It turns out that esim does not support UMTS (3G to you and I) so if you do not have 4G coverage you will NOT get mobile data.

The same issue is true of the Apple Watch Cellular (https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2242845/apple-watch-on-ee-is-4g-only-no-3g)

I now need to switch back to a physical SIM as this was not something I knew about beforehand.

6 REPLIES 6
Investigator

Re: warning: EE esim does not work on 3G, only 4G

A little more info - it works on *some* 3G towers but not others. 

I drove for 20 minutes in an area that normally drops from 4G to 3G with a full cellular signal but no 4G or 3G service indicator. Happened a few times last night and again this morning on my commute drive. Unlikely to be a single tower fault due to the distance covered.

Sitting stationary outside my office in the middle of a big town with a full 4G signal, if I forcibly disable 4G it is switching to 3G and it does work.

It's flaky enough that I need to switch back to a physical SIM. The joys of being an early adopter 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Just turned off 4G on my esim and it works ok on 3G. Not experienced any issues with it.

Are you running the latest beta or on the official version?

Investigator

running ios 12.1 final. As I mentioned I get the same as you when stationary and manually disabling 4G.

The issue seems to be from what I'm reading, older 3G towers on different frequencies and these are not supported by the EE esim.

So it won't fallback to 3G where 4G is unavailable in a lot of situations.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @stevekdavis.

Have you spoke with our technical support team regarding this?

Thanks, Katie 🙂

by Docupdate Investigator
Investigator

by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for posting this @Docupdate

I have responded in your thread

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.