by film727 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

standard sim to nano change

I need to swap my old standard SIM card for new nano SIM. What is the best way to do this, I don't want to be without working SIM in the process

19 REPLIES 19
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: standard sim to nano change

Hello @film727 have you got a replacement nano SIM card yet? 🙂

Valued Contributor

No, I don't

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You can get a free replacement nano SIM card from any EE store and they will transfer your number to the new one for you. You will need the old SIM card or photographic ID.

You can also request one through customer service or online for £1.50:

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/order-sim/?action=newHandset

The SIM card will arrive with instructions on how to process the SIM swap yourself online. SIM swaps are usually instant but can take up to 24hrs. 🙂

Valued Contributor

Already been to EE shop where I was told I can only swap to T mobile (I'm on Orange) which would take 3 days, during which old SIM will no longer work. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Sorry the information I gave to you above is for EE accounts only.

You can only request a replacement Orange SIM card through customer service now. You can call them on 450 using options 2, 4 from your Orange phone or 07973 100450 from any other.

They prefer to 'move' people to EE instead so if you want to keep your Orange plan prepare to be quite adamant about it.

When you receive the SIM card you can process the SIM swap yourself by calling 450 using options 2, 2, 2. You will need your mobile number, 4-digit ID code and new SIM card number wrote on the back of it (starting 8944) to hand.

This again can take up to 24hrs but is usually much quicker.

🙂

Valued Contributor

I tried calling as well and the only relevant option available is something called "SIM swap" and you're then asked for new SIM number. There is no new SIM, I simply want to change size of the card, from standard to nano. Is there a number I can call and talk to a person? My main concern is how to do this with my number active throughout the process 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Try calling 150 and pressing 2 then 4 as soon as she says "Welcome to..."

She should pause for a moment then say "please hold while I connect you to one of our customer service representatives". If you are on Orange PAYG there is a 25 charge, for Orange pay monthly the call is free.

Please note that EEs call handling systems have been down for around 48hrs and they are experiencing high call volumes while they deal with the backlog.

by
EE Employee

Hi @film727 and welcome to the community.

Our customer service team will be able to issue you with a SIM replacement.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

What Customer service team? Maybe you could tell me how to contact you?

by
EE Employee

Hi @film727

The information has been provided further up by @tm90

You can only request a replacement Orange SIM card through customer service now. You can call them on 450 using options 2, 4 from your Orange phone or 07973 100450 from any other.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Yes, I know, and I replied further up with:

"I tried calling as well and the only relevant option available is something called "SIM swap" and you're then asked for new SIM number. There is no new SIM, I simply want to change size of the card, from standard to nano. Is there a number I can call and talk to a person? My main concern is how to do this with my number active throughout the process"

Your advice to call 450 is wrong in this scenario, the only thing to do is apply a cheat where you press an option too early confusing the system so that, hopefully, you get offered to talk to operator.

Note to anybody else in the same situation - if you need to change standard or micro Orange SIM card to nano, you will be forced to switch to EE resulting in no service for up to 48 hrs, because you're effectively porting the number. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @film727

450 is not a cheat option that is a standard number, please select the option for the technical team as they will be able to have your SIM replaced and sent out.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

450 is the official direct number for customer service.

I told you to press 2 (anything else) then 4 (speak to a representative) as soon as she started speaking because the options she reads out are obviously confusing you and you do not need to listen to any of them.

The Orange phone system is super responsive and can cope with multiple inputs. I promise you if you call 450 and press 2 then 4 as soon as she starts speaking you will be transferred to a customer service agent.

Valued Contributor

My point is that you have to cheat in order to talk to a person. I never had the Technical team option offered, only automated menu options

by
EE Employee

Hi @film727

The options @tm90 has presented are not cheating, he has given you the number presses to save you listening to the options.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Obviously confusing me? Thanks for being so patronising. I followed you advice (cheat) and I did manage to speak to someone who was very helpful. 

Valued Contributor

Hey Lee,

Why not have the option: Do you need to talk to an operator? in the menu?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

They do! Option 4 after pressing option 2!!

Smiley LOL

by
EE Employee

Hi @film727

I'm glad you are sorted with issue, the option is there as mentioned above 2 is for anything else and 4 is to speak to a representative.

I certainly did not mean to come across as patronising, I was only trying to assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.