Highlighted
by marc00s Contributor
Contributor

how do i convert my number to an esim?

does anyone know how i can move my number to an esim?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: how do i convert my number to an esim?

Hi there @Laskors

If you are ordering a new iPhone from us, then you will receive a physical EE SIM with your iPhone. 

If required, you can move a number from your SIM card to an eSIM when Apple make this available. 

Thanks. Leanne.

63 REPLIES
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Trying to move to the new iPhone? The esim functionality isn't enabled yet and won't be available until later this year with an iOS update. At that point we should know amore aboout how it will work.

by Laskors Investigator
Investigator

If that’s the case how has it been working on the Apple Watch, iPad and google pixel for the last year????

by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Hi there @Laskors

If you are ordering a new iPhone from us, then you will receive a physical EE SIM with your iPhone. 

If required, you can move a number from your SIM card to an eSIM when Apple make this available. 

Thanks. Leanne.

by Laskors Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. That was the knowledgeable response I was seeking. Maybe you need to train your colleagues on how to respond to question with an actual answer.

by cedric06nice Investigator
Investigator

Maybe because the first post was answered by an end user like you and me and not an "EE Community Support Team"??

This is a community and not an EE techincal suport chat... you can always call them if you need a "knowledgeable response" from "colleagues" who has been "trained" to answer your questions.

by Mikey1971 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It’s as simple as a sim swap. 

Esims have been around for ages and a few of my phones have had them. 

Mid u get from EE it’s locked to EE. 

Mid you buy from Apple, it’s unlocked. 

Some carriers will do online or on phone and some will just give you a qr code

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Laskors: I find it ironic that you think you can talk to certain members of the Community as if they're so how below you, asking for knowledge information, when you give incorrect information yourself.

Just for your reference, EE do not use an eSIM with the Google Pixel, I have the Google Pixel 2 XL and I have to use a physical EE SIM because EE do not allow Pixel users to use the eSIM.

A little advise for future use of the Community, don't be so rude towards others providing information when you clearly have no idea what your talking about either.

Also, please don't bother replying, I honestly don't want to waste the time I volunteer on here to reply to rude and ungrateful people like you.

by Laskors Investigator
Investigator

The google pixel and Apple Watch 3 have been using the esim see below:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-an-e-sim-2926904/amp

Valued Contributor

Don’t know who mentioned google pixel but you are correct on that. 

Apple wath uses esim on EE at the moment. 

Using your our new esim with Apple x or xs or xs max will be what’s known as a sim swap. 

Once you receive your phone you can get he serial number from it , call EE and ask them to swap. 

I hope this helps. Ps for some reason my first comment exchanged the word ‘if’ for the word ‘mid’. Weird. 

It should read read if you get phone with esim from EE it’ll be locked to EE and if you buy phone with esim from Apple it’ll be unlocked. 

An an esim is the same idea as a normal sim but built into the phone. 

Mot has a serial number on it like a normal sim. 

Carriers like EE (but not all carriers) will just use these numbers to transfer your own phone number onto it. 

It it is not permanent and can be swapped to another carrier at some point that supports it. 

Once again ee does support esim

thanks. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Just to clarify, the new iPhones out this week support eSIM, but this is not available at the moment, until Apple release a software update later this year. You must continue using a nano SIM for now.

From Apple

1. eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expires). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044.
Valued Contributor

Agreed. Sim is available in approx 6 weeks as I just received confirmation 

even Ent though our watches are using esim, the xs and xs max will be 6 weeks

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Laskors

This is a peer community, and as such, you will get responses from fellow customers (peers) around your questions or issues. 

Please refrain from posting insulting messages to members who are trying to help with your subject matter. If you would like to only receive official responses, then I would suggest you depart from the community and use the Live Chat/Phone support channels. 

I believe your answer has been answered and as such, I don’t see any further debate needed around this. Please try to adjust your future posting to not be so rude. 

by willpr Investigator
Investigator

I just spoke to EE and when Apple makes this available I will have to pay for a new contract to use e-Sim

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @willpr

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Community. Smiley Happy

As far as I'm aware, the information you've been provided is incorrect. Smiley Frustrated

Once Apple release iOS 12.1, customers with an appropriate iPhone can request they have their service moved from their physical SIM to the eSIM that's in their iPhone. I believe this will be a similar process that already takes place by SIM swapping. Once the transfer has taken place, you can configure the iPhone to use the eSIM as the default SIM. Smiley Happy

Finally, once six months has passed, you can request your iPhone (if brought from EE) to be unlocked and you'll be able to insert a physical SIM from another provider and you'll be able to run both SIMs from both providers alongside each other. Smiley Happy

by willpr Investigator
Investigator

2D5E3844-8B42-4A74-BC63-4791AC508376.jpeg

So this information here is incorrect? @Inyourbox

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thanks for the reply @willprSmiley Happy

Unfortunately, I can't see that picture at the moment because it needs to be approved by the moderators. Smiley Happy

While we wait for that to happen, hopefully @James_B can confirm if what I have advised is correct, I highly doubt and from what I have heard, a customer can move their service to a eSIM from a physical SIM without the need of another contract.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Not true. 

When its its available shortly, then you can have your number transferred onto your esim and be left with a spare slot. 

I can can confirm this in a letter and in an email 

NO new contract or cost

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

but if you bought your iPhone from EE, the physical SIM slot is locked to EE so you can't go off and use another network anyway.

by willpr Investigator
Investigator

I got my iPhone from Apple, so it’s unlocked but I’m only planning on using a physical sim from Italy.

Sent from my iPhone
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.