by Me62 Contributor
Contributor

Will 4GEE Essential deal work on my old Nokia 6070

Help would be greatly appreciated please as at 74 years I am not good at technology (took me ages to get into this forum and I am not sure that it is even the correct one!)  I have an old Nokia 6070 and wonder if I can get 4GEE Essenial deal sim to use in it.  I only want to make phone calls and send the odd text or two (I do not want to access the internet).  Do EE do anything less like a 3GEE - have tried to find out on their web site but it is impossible to contact them and when live chat option comes on it does not work for me.  Up until now I have just purchased top up vouchers but now that I have ditched my land line I am finding that too expensive.  Will I need to purchase a new  mobile phone?  

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Will 4GEE Essential deal work on my old Nokia 6070

@Me62  All of EE plans are 4G but if the device can not receive 4G it will just use 3G etc.   And providing the device is unlocked you can use the EE sim on the plan you choose in that device.  

by Me62 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.  My phone was an Orange and I now purchase top up EE vouchers so I assume that an EE sim will fit and my mobile will not need to be unlocked.  Am I correct please?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

4G SIMs will still work on lower grade phones; they just downgrade themselves.

Do you really need an EE Essentials contract? The main benefit of contracts is the largeish data allowance they give you but you don't seem to need that. Any idea of what your monthly usage of calls & texts would be?

You say you have been topping-up regularly but now find that expensive. So you have been on PAYG. Did you buy regular monthly packs or did you just pay for calls & texts as you went along?

You may find that a PAYG SIM with a regular monthly pack would be more suitable to you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Me62 and welcome to the community.

As mentioned by @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX the SIM will use the 3G functionality of the phone, being 4G will not affect it.

The device would need to be unlocked in order to use an EE SIM, was the device and SIM purchased together or have you purchased the device second hand?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Me62 Contributor
Contributor

I purchased my Orange mobile phone some years ago and the sim card was already in it.  From your reply it seems I must get it unlocked to use an EE sim card (even though EE has taken over Orange).  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They are different networks under the EE umbrella.

You should be able to just apply to get it unlocked using the Unlocking your device form as the PAYG option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Me62

Thank you for that information, please see our guide on how to unlock your pay as you go phone as this will assist you.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Me62 Contributor
Contributor

I have been Pay As U Go since I purchased the phone new and have only bought £10 top up vouchers, which seem to last no time at all now I am making around a dozen calls a week and about 6 texts.  I knew nothing about packages until I started looking at the web site but see that if I purchase £10 or £15 deals they seem to offer enough minutes for me to use over a month. Not sure how they work though (do I purchase a new sim card each month? or just go on line and get further credit added to my sim card in my phone?  Do not understand top ups either?  Does this mean you can buy extra if you think you are running out of credit?   I do wish EE would put an IDIOT'S GUIDE on the website for people like me who really do not know much about these things.   You obviously do and I am so grateful for your help. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't buy new SIM every month. The Pack it comes with auto renews every 30 days as long as your PAYG credit is enough. All you need do is top-up in time to buy the next Pack, either by top-up vouchers as you've been doing or online or by setting up a recurring top-up. See How can I top up my phone? for the full range of top-up options.

There are 3 stages to EE PAYG:

1. Top-up: This just adds PAYG Credit to your phone from your own money.
  2. PAYG Credit: This can be used to buy packs or make calls & texts at per-unit rates.
  3. Packs: These are purchased out of your existing PAYG Credit each month as long as it is enough. If it is not enough at the renewal date then the Pack will only be next bought when the PAYG Credit is enough.

I think the £10 Talk Pack would be suitable for you, giving you 5000 mins of call time each month & unlimited texts.

by Me62 Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks Grand Master for all your help (and patience) with an ageing techno.  I will now live up to my name and "explore" the options you have kindly listed for me. Regards.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Me62,

I hope one of the options that @XRaySpeX has listed above will be suitable for you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Actually I thought I had only suggested 1 option, the £10 Talk Pack.

by
EE Employee

Hi @XRaySpeX

You also offered the option of:

• PAYG Credit: This can be used to buy packs or make calls & texts at per-unit rates.

As Well as packs etc.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, @Lee_H, that's not an option but an essential stage of how EE PAYG works, at least in my eyes. You can't buy Packs w/out credit, so it's not "as well as".

by
EE Employee

Hi @XRaySpeX.

It was more in reference to you can make calls/texts at per unit rates I was referring to.

Many thanks for assisting with this query 🙂

Cheers,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H: I presume the OP was already making calls/texts at per unit rates outta of his topped-up credit & finding that too expensive. So, no way would I be suggesting that to him.

(My bullet points are my description how EE PAYG works in general, not a suggestion to the OP but an explanation of what he seemed unclear on & asked for more on.)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Me62  If you only need calls and texts and no data then you don’t need Pack’s at all and your credit can just be used for calls and texts.   Just texts STOP PACK and you’ll be on a normal payg system and you’ll not need to top up each month and you’ll only tip up when you use up the credit on the account.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.