by OrangetoEE
Explorer

Why did I have to buy an extra sim card?

Hi all,

I recently visited an EE shop to negotiate my sim only contract from an Orange one I've had for years to EE. I also had to buy a new phone as mine would not support the new sim cards (nearly 10 years old - the phone that is). I settled on a phone and agreed to a sim only contract, but also had to buy a pay as you go multi sim for £10 to leave the shop with the phone. I didn't understand the explanation, so need someone sage on here to put in easy English. 

In short, I'm buying a sim card with my sim only contract for a brand new phone I've purchased, so why do I need to spend extra money on a sim card I'm not going to use. 

I was also slightly disappointed that haggling wasn't an option in the shop (and was told I wouldn't get a better deal online), but when I rang EE for a puk code the guy said a deal could always be reached, but not in my case as I'd signed the contract. Perhaps it's a lesson learned but speaking to someone in the shop and being told there wasn't a better deal seems dishonest, when I've just heard there potentially is over the phone.

Any help on the explanation would be appreciated.

OrangetoEE

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why did I have to buy an extra sim card?

@OrangetoEE The phone you purchased was a pay as go phone and these are sold with a SIM card that has a pack associated with it, it’s this  that needs purchasing which is what the purchases was for. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Let's get this straight!

You bought the new phone outright from the EE shop?

When you buy a phone outright from EE you are buying a PAYG phone. They come with a PAYG SIM which they only supply with a £10 credit (top-up) cuz they expect & want you to use on their network. EE phones also come locked to EE which make them difficult to use on other networks.

You'd have done better & cheaper buying an unlocked phone from an online seller or an independent shop & just gone to the EE store to upgrade your Orange SIM-Only to EE (which you could also do online).

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: It's not the pack that's doing it but the pre-arranged £10 credit. EE could easily supply PAYG phones with a free PAYG SIM with a primed £10 pack ready for when the user tops up, as they do online.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@OrangetoEE  Just to add the store has fixed prices and can not offer anything else or deals. Online sales or phone sales are allowed to offer deals.  

by OrangetoEE
Explorer

Hi guys,

Thanks for the explanation, and retrospectively I should have done some homework before going in, but hey ho. It's not a vast outlay and any deal I might have achieved would only have saved a small amount (since I'm not paying much anyway). Look after the pennies etc though. I'll be better in a years time.

Cheers,

OrangetoEE

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no good reason to ever buy a PAYG phone outright from EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @OrangetoEE

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting.

I see you have been given some information here that has helped you.

If you ever have any questions about EE products or services in future, this is the best place to come. 🙂

Chris

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Christopher_G is there anything that could be done to transfer that £10 to his/her sim only account leaving him with a credit on his/her sim only

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

I could only recommend that @OrangetoEE speaks to customer services, @BrendonH.

They'll do their best to help.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.