by MPE Investigator
Investigator

What exactly will happen the moment I take my SIM card out?

I currently have an iPhone SE and was going to get an IPhone 8 or X but wanted to keep both phones. What happens to my SE and what services do I lose when I take my SIM card out and what exactly happen when I put it in the new phone? Thanks, help much appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: What exactly will happen the moment I take my SIM card out?

You can move your SIM to any other phone if it fits & your contract will continue using that phone.

When you remove your SIM from your existing phone it will now only work over WiFi until you put some other SIM in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @MPE,

Welcome to the community,

You can keep both phones and just put the sim card in whichever phone you choose, nothing will happen and you will not lose your services, but you can only have one sim card per mobile number, but can put it in one phone and then if you so wish, put it in the other phone. Both will work with the Internet as wifi does not stop and wifi does not need a sim card. Hope this answers your question. I presume that both phones are with EE and the sim card is with EE.

by MPE Investigator
Investigator

Thank you very much for replying so quickly! So my old phone won’t be able to call or text. Is that right?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not while it has no SIM in it. It can use data only over WiFi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@MPE, no not without the sim card, but with Apple Phones you can go into settings and click on the phone icon and there you can click on calls on other devices, make sure that is on and this should hopefully add your device, the same with the IPad, can also be added, which are signed into your device and are nearby and on Wifi, but otherwise no if not nearby.

by MPE Investigator
Investigator

One last question I hope - Do I lose all my contacts on the old phone because I might have to change the sim back and forth. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@MPE, Where do you have your contacts stored? Are they on ICloud or in Outlook? You should then get them back and they will stay on your phone. If they are on the sim card, then, I would suggest you make sure that you have them on each phone as well.

Mine are all on the One Drive, so when I log in with the email corresponding to the one drive, all contacts download and remain on the phone.

by MPE Investigator
Investigator

I have just imported the contacts from the SIM to my phone, and to outlook as well. Thank you both very much for your excellent help! I have already clicked the start on all your comments, is there anywhere I can leave feedback?

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Whilst iPhones do allow importing contacts from the SIM card from other devices, they don't allow you to save any contacts onto your SIM card.

If you are signed into iCloud and have your contracts enabled in your iCloud, your contacts will be saved there and will be available when you sign into iCloud on any other device using the same AppleID.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I second that and am glad I could be of assistance too!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.