by NZAI Investigator
Investigator

Virtual SIM

I live partly in NZ and partly in the UK, and have to carry 2 phones, one for each country.  I recently bought an iPhone X that is capable of a virtual SIM as well as the physical one, so that you can have 2 sims in the one phone.  I read that EE is the only company in the UK offering virtual SIM - is that the case?  If so, can I apply online for a monthly contract at EE, then get a PAC number from my current UK mobile phone company, and transfer to EE without having to visit a store - or do I need to visit a store?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Virtual SIM

@NZAI  The iPhone X can only have one sim. It’s only the new iPhone Xs, Xs max and XR that can support the eSim. 

If you have a Xs you can have an eSim on EE. You can apply for a sim only contract and move your number to EE from your other network.   The eSim will not work until you scan the QR code with the phone to move the number to the Esim from the physical sim. 

But what you asking can be done without going to a store.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@NZAI  The iPhone X can only have one sim. It’s only the new iPhone Xs, Xs max and XR that can support the eSim. 

If you have a Xs you can have an eSim on EE. You can apply for a sim only contract and move your number to EE from your other network.   The eSim will not work until you scan the QR code with the phone to move the number to the Esim from the physical sim. 

But what you asking can be done without going to a store.  

View solution in original post

by NZAI Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, yes I have an XS iPhone.

I've applied to my current provider O2 to unlock my phone - to my amazement tht will take at least a week, even though I am on Pay as you go!  Anyway, is the QR code what will be provided by O2 when the phone is unlocked?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, O2 will provide you with an unlock code or a procedure to go thro' to unlock your O2 handset.

The QR code is for activating the eSIM as your mobile no.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by NZAI Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks, understood now.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions