by railmaps Investigator
Investigator

Three month visit to UK and Europe - Will EE accept my money for Pay Monthly?

Hi guys,

We 3 Australians will be visiting UK and Europe for almost 3 months later this year.  We'll want 3 sims for the duration, and are looking for the best carrier with decent data allowances.  Will we be able to use EE's pay-monthly one-month plans without a UK bank account?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Three month visit to UK and Europe - Will EE accept my money for Pay Monthly

Yes, if you mainly want data, these Pay as you go Data SIMs , including 20 GB for £25 per month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Three month visit to UK and Europe - Will EE accept my money for Pay Monthly

Hi @railmaps

You will not be able to get a pay monthly account without a permanent UK address and bank account. You wont pass the credit check.

You would be better off with one of EE PAYG packages as EE are the best network with the fastest 4G UK network. 

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by railmaps Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Northerner, that is what I feared.

Unfortunately, from what I can see, the PAYG offers are much less value than Pay Monthly.  I can see a Pay Monthly plan on 30 day contract that offers 20Gb for UKP28, however the best PAYG I can see is 5Gb for UKP15.

That's a very big difference.  Is there a PAYG offer that I have not seen with a data allowance greater than 5Gb per month?

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, if you mainly want data, these Pay as you go Data SIMs , including 20 GB for £25 per month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by railmaps Investigator
Investigator

Ah, OK thank you. That is beginning to look more attractive.

A supplementary question if I may.

If I purchase one of those data sims, am I permitted to use it in a mobile phone (as distinct from a dedicated mobile wifi device), and is there a way I can make calls and send texts (at additional cost I presume)?  I expect to have to make a small number of calls on occasion.

These may seem to you to be strange questions, but here in Australia our carriers have at times placed strange and restrictive limits such as these.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @railmaps,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Yes, you can use an EE data SIM in a phone.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

You may use data SIMs in a phone & you may make calls & texts at standard rates. Presumably many of these will be International calls from UK to Oz. Normally there is a way of getting these at cheaper-than-standard rates with the Free Call Abroad from the UK add-on , but I'm uncertain if this will work from a data SIM. So I suggest when you 1st receive your free data SIM you text CALL ABROAD to 150 & see if it accepts it.

by railmaps Investigator
Investigator

Thank you.  That's an option.

I have since discovered Bigger allowance 'Everything Packs'.  The 25 and 30 pound packs actually sound like they may be just what we need. 

They are hard to find on the website though.  They are not listed under the SIM only option: that only lists four plans - topping out at the 15 pound 5Gb pack  https://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

It takes a bit of persistence, but I eventually found the larger plans under the EE Pland & Packs options.  Even there the larger packs are not displayed straight away - but there is an option to set your budget, and by selecting 'All', the larger packs are displayed (but only by using MS Edge - not reliably on Chrome)

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones

So, it's taken a bit of work, but with your assistance I think we have some options.

Thanks agin.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, yes. Rather than looking round the Shop you'll find more complete info on everything in EE's Help pages. In this instance see Pay as you go packs explained .

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.