by ninaenuno Investigator
Investigator

Sim card and bluetooth tethering issue on Androind 9.0

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with EE.

We have two Sony Xperia Xz Premium dual sim and as part of the daily commute we used to share the mobile data (4G) with our GPS for the live traffic services, etc, via bluetooth tethering (not wifi hotspot).

Since we got the update from Android 8.0 to Android 9.0 this no longer works, the bluetooth pairing works fine but the internet doesn't get shared.

I have tried the same with other devices like and Huawei tablet and a lenovo laptop and is the same outcome, the internet doesn't get shared.

After trying to get some help from the manufacturer which was pointless we decided to try a different sim card from another network (ID Mobile and O2) and it works just fine with those networks.

After this we contacted EE which the only action offered was to send me a new sim card, since the call center agent confirmed that there are known issues with some sim cards and Android 9.0, we accepted. However this hasn't made any difference, the issue persists.

When we contacted EE again, the only answer we got was that this is a manufacturer issue, this is very dissapointing and we strongly disagree. How is this a manufacturer issues if it works with other networks? If this was a bug on the Android 9.0 Sony  released this would affect the functionality itself of sharing 4G via bluetooth tethering not only with one network provider.

I appreciate this is not an easy one,  but it is an EE issue and EE just to discarded themselves of any responsability because most probably the population affected by it is very small or most people didn't even notice this because there are not many devices in Android 9.0 and nowadays is easier to share the data via Wifi hostpsot. The route that EE took on this case was definitely the easier one, which was to say I don't care and it is not our problem, instead of actually looking into the issue in a more thorough way.

I will be definitely moving to O2 or 3 on the next few days but I just wanted to put this out there and say that EE really provides a bad customer service.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Sim card and bluetooth tethering issue on Androind 9.0

@ninaenuno: I agree! The phone will have generic (unbranded) firmware. The functions you want work on other networks bar EE. Therefore it is an EE fault or peculiarity at least.

It could have something to do with IPv4 vs. IPv6 as, I think, was mentioned earlier. EE's handling of IPvn's seem to cause other issues that go away on other networks. Can you try switching these in the APN?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ninaenuno  this sounds like a IPV6 issue which is the lasted standard but I just can not figure out why it’s not working as your only using Bluetooth to make the connection with a device that can use IPV6.  

When you tied the tablet and laptop where these connection via a EE SIM card also ?   If it was then this is pointing to the GPS not being compatible with IPV6.  But this in itself doesn’t make sense as the connection is stil via Bluetooth to the device that’s connected to the network.   

Can you try searching the play store for a Bluetooth app as I’ve known others to find when they have installed a Bluetooth app their issue of a Bluetooth connection got fixed.   Im not saying this will fix it but it’s worth a shot.  

With your device not being a EE device they can not fix anything as your only connection to EE is with the SIM card that is working within the device and as long as EE give you a working connection they are holding up their end of the contract with you.  

It might be worth trying to contact Sony about this also as the update from 8 to 9 has broken this. 

Investigator

Hi @Chris_B,

Thank you for your reply, just to clarify what I said previously, the test was to share the mobile data (4G) from my phone to the Tablet and Laptop via bluetooth tethering, like I do for the GPS, and it also doesn't work. I don't believe it is a question of the GPS not supporting ipv6, the laptop definitely supports since it's windows 10 and is only 3 months old.

I am not saying it's not related with that, something definitely happened between Android 9.0 and EE mobile data, probably is not liking the same mac addresses now are coming with a different information on the header, that's definetly a possibility.

Just also to note , with the same phone if I connect to my home Wifi (Virgin Media)  and try to share the connection via bluetooth tethering for all devices (GPS, Laptop and Tablet) it works fine. The same also works with Id Mobile and O2 sim cards.

With that said what we can say for sure is this is something to do with EE.

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ninaenuno  Sorry I misunderstood about the laptop and tablet.  My bad.  Can you try finding an Bluetooth app from the play store. I know it sounds crazy but I’ve known this to work in the past.  And I’ve got to say it sounds like an issue between the software on your device now and the EE network which means the software on your device needs to be rectified to be compatible with EE so this tethering works correctly, after all it was ok on 8 and now its been updated to 9 it has this issue.  You need to contact Sony about this as EE have no say on the software on your device as it’s not a EE branded device so EE can not fix what is beyond their control.  But please do try finding a Bluetooth app to test this with first. 

Investigator

Hi @Chris_B,

Thanks once again for your reply, can you please explain what do you mean by a bluetooth app? Can you provide me with an example?

Re this being a manufacturer issue I strongly disagree, but to be honest doesn't suprise me that you are going on the same route as EE is the easiest way out.

But if we think about this logicaly and rationaly it doesn't make any sense to be a manufacturer issue, yes the Android 9.0 is different from Android 8.0 however 4G and bluetooth works the same way regardless of the Android version. 

So what are we saying, Sony released a software that just doesn't work with EE only? I really doubt that.

Any manufacturer when builds their OS customized versions of Android (like adding on top of Google android their own UI) they do that without being worried that this might not work with specific networks because both 4G (IP protocols) and Bluetooth follow standards and guidelines stabilished exactly to make sure this type of issues don't happen.

But if that is the case, and the network provider has nothing to do with these functions, how come some networks can block data services sharing via bluetooth tethering then?

Again like I said before this works with other networks and if this doesn't work only with EE then this is an EE issue, the internet sharing via bluettoth tethering is not happening because something is going wrong on the EE side.

Unfortunately I couldn't test any other EE sim cards on my phone to confirm if it works or not, I am seriously suspicious this is not a wide spreaded issue.

Cheers.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ninaenuno  Open the play store and find a Bluetooth app.  As much as you believe this might or even could be a EE issue EE has no control over the Bluetooth or even the software on that device.  Does the device work as it should with a cellular connection?   EE can not do any updates to your device as it’s not a EE device so how can EE fix this for you if the device is working as it should with a cellular. The update to 9 could of broken something with how the Bluetooth works when tethering using the EE network and if that’s the case then Sony need to fix it as EE as I’ve said have no control or even access to your device to put any sort of update on the device.  You need to report it to Sony as it was there update that broke this and I’m only suggesting try downloading a Bluetooth app as it might fix the problem temporarily until Sony fix it or it might be a permanent fix.  

Perhaps @Northerner or @BrendonH could recommend a Bluetooth app as they use Android. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@ninaenuno: I agree! The phone will have generic (unbranded) firmware. The functions you want work on other networks bar EE. Therefore it is an EE fault or peculiarity at least.

It could have something to do with IPv4 vs. IPv6 as, I think, was mentioned earlier. EE's handling of IPvn's seem to cause other issues that go away on other networks. Can you try switching these in the APN?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ninaenuno Have a look at THIS it might help you select IPV4 and hopefully will fix your issue. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Eh, @Chris_B? I don't have an issue. The OP does. It's my suggestion to the OP to switch IPv's.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX Sorry I clicked the wrong name, corrected now.

Investigator

Hello @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX,

Thank you for your replies.

I just want to add more information, I am now 100% sure this is an EE issue. I have done several test scenarios, and today I popped in an EE store, where we tested a different EE sim card on our phones provided by the store adviser. We connected my GPS device via bluetooth, sharing the mobile data (4g) via bluetooth tethering and everything worked just fine.

This confirmed that there is no issue with Sony's Android 9.0 and it is in fact an issue with my EE number/contract/account whatever they want to call it.

The store adivser then contacted their tech team who perfomed an account reset and they even made us try again a new sim card on my account but no luck. So, this was now escalated to some kind of 2nd line, but I don't have much faith to be honest.

I have tried a bluetooth app also from app store but no luck, the issue persists.

Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX,

How I change the IPv?

@Chris_B, I checked the APN (EE Internet everywhere)  but I can't change anything everything is grayed out, can we get the APN settings from anywhere so we can try to do it manually?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

How can it be that a shop SIM worked but your replacement SIM that they gave you didn't?

Are you on contract or PAYG? Could that be the diff between the 2 SIMs?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Only as the article posted by @Chris_B suggests.

What is the greyed out value for APN Profile?

Investigator

@XRaySpeX, I am on a contract, the sim card tested at the store I don't know. But the other networks sim cards were contract and they were working fine on my phone.

All the settings in the default APN are greyed out and  I can't change them.

I found the settings online here and I just tried to create a manual APN with the IPV forced to IPV4 and the bluetooth tethering is just working fine.

Thank you for your suggestion it seems to have fixed my issue.

I am going to try the same on the 2nd phone where doesn't work also.

Investigator

@XRaySpeX

Can you confirm if the APN settings for EE that I got from that link are the correct ones? Or is there a better place to get them.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

• Likely that shop assistant just picked a handy PAYG SIM.
  • Other networks' SIM being on contract or PAYG is immaterial. It's EE's handling of IPV6 that is suspect & I'm guessing it is diff between EE contract & PAYG.
  • So the greyed out value of the default APN Profile must have been IPv6.
  • Those settings you found are confirmed by EE APN Settings: Where to find them . You may have also been able to just go here and download them to your phone.
  • Ach, so, it was EE's handling of IPV6 at the bottom of it Smiley LOL

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted for 1 phone. I expect it to be for the other.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.