by ewbie74 Investigator
Investigator

SIM Only plus eSim for Apple Watch

Hi EE Community,

My son is getting a second hand EE cellular Apple watch and is currently on Giff Gaff pay as you go sim only.

What do I need to make this work.

I assume I need an EE sim but does it have to be on a contract or can it be pay as you go?

How does the Esim work and what do I need to do to get them paired.

Can I get this set up before he receives the watch or is it best to wait until he has it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: SIM Only plus eSim for Apple Watch

@ewbie74   His phone needs to be on EE also to make use of the cellular feature of the watch.   

the watch has a built in sim which gets linked to the EE account so calls and texts can be made/received.  

you can still use the watch as it is but without the cellular feature of the watch.  

if you do change him over to EE he’ll need a contract (sim only is good enough) as you can not use PAYG.   You can have a 30 day rolling tariff at £7 per month. 

best to wait till he has the watch as you need to set this up once the watch has been linked to his iPhone.   

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@ewbie74   His phone needs to be on EE also to make use of the cellular feature of the watch.   

the watch has a built in sim which gets linked to the EE account so calls and texts can be made/received.  

you can still use the watch as it is but without the cellular feature of the watch.  

if you do change him over to EE he’ll need a contract (sim only is good enough) as you can not use PAYG.   You can have a 30 day rolling tariff at £7 per month. 

best to wait till he has the watch as you need to set this up once the watch has been linked to his iPhone.   

by ewbie74 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you 

by
EE Community Support Team

Afternoon @ewbie74 

Welcome to the community.

To use the full data and calling capabilities, you will need to have an iPhone 6 or a newer model (including SE) on an EE pay monthly or SIM only plan, and be running the latest iOS Software>

See our How do I set up Apple Watch Series 3 or Apple Watch Series 4 not bought from EE? post for full details on how to set up the Apple Watch.

Thanks,.

Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.