Highlighted
by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

Replacment Sim for Incapacitated User

Hi, a relative has recentently been involved in an accident, he's currently in hospital and to incapacitated to get a replacement.  During his accident, his phone was lost or damaged beyond repair, I don't know wich, and he may be in hospital for quite some time.

I've been asked to look after his bills, and houehold affairs for him until he's well enough to come home.  Unfortunately for me, I need access to his phone (Or more specifically his mobile number) as it is this number that he uses to pay his bills.

I have a suitable device to put a sim into, how would I go about getting a replacment sim sent so that I can honour his request.  And would the sim have to go to his address, or could it be sent to my address.

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacment Sim for Incapacitated User

Hi @Shawty

Unfortunately without knowing his account password  Customer services will refuse any access and wont send one out.

& any EE store wouldn't issue you one as you ain't the account holder.

Data protection is paramount.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Shawty

Why do you need their mobile number to pay his bills as surly if you have access to his household account then you will have access to his bills. 

You must appreciate this is an open anonymous user  forum and therefore your story could be true or maybe false, your post is suspicious for various reasons. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @Shawty

Unfortunately without knowing his account password  Customer services will refuse any access and wont send one out.

& any EE store wouldn't issue you one as you ain't the account holder.

Data protection is paramount.

View solution in original post

by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

Hi Dai,

Thanks that's all I needed to know, I just wanted to know if there was a process in place for this or not, it never hurts to ask.

You've answered my question.

@NorthernerWhile I understand your point, it's really unprofessional to question someones motives like that, you could easily have worded that differently, or more tactfully.  If you are a member of EE's support team than your standards have certainly slipped since I was training the call center staff 10 years ago, back when it was still under oranges ownership.  Irrespective of your beliefs, and irrespective of this being an anonymous forum (Which by the way it's not really, considering registration has more than enough info to match a user up by EE staff) your approach was wrong and unprofessional

Yes, I understand this is an anonymous forum, and if you noticed, beacuse of that, I choose not to include any details in my post that could be used for nefarious purposes, @David answered the question in the correct manner.  He read it, worked out what I wanted to know, answered it and left it at that, if you cannot do the same, then may I suggest you should not be answering questions in a forumn such as this.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you had power of attorney then EE would discuss it with you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Even if your relative had made prior arrangements with CS for you to represent him as a 3rd party then EE would discuss it with you. He might still be able to do this with you present.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shawty. Not liking a reply to your question doesn’t mean it’s wrong.   It was straight the point of your question without betting around the bush. Unfortunately there are people who will do what ever that can do gain access to other people accounts to get a device in there name and no one on this public forum knows who are are and your intentions could be dishonest. 

by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

Hi @David & @XRaySpeX - Yep that's dooable, I may be able to get permission to use a mobile in the hospital where he is, and having an Atourney is certainly doable, we have one on hand in case the worst happens.

@Chris_B- NO he was not straight to the point about my question, he was straight to the point about "his feelings being that my question was suspicious".  He answered the question emotionally instead of practically as @David & @XRaySpeX did.

This is what annoys the crap out of me about modern day forums, there's always folks who are ready to point fingers, make comments and generally derail things.  I asked a straight forward question, @Northerner DID NOT give me a straight forward answer, even if he'd just said "Nope sorry, not gonna happen", that while not constructive would have been straight forward, beacuse it answered the question, rather than questioning it.

I see this all the time on places like stack overflow, where folks ask simple questions, and get pulled left right and center with everything except an answer.

I used to be an Engineer with Orange a long time ago (In fact if your still in any of the original orange buildings and assuming the new owners havent changed anything, there's a very good chance that some of the software behind the scenes was written by me) as part of my Job I used to have to train the help desk staff to interprate questions correctly, help them with technical information pertaining to thier jobs and teach them the best ways to deal with out of the ordinary questions, so believe me, I do know what I'm talking about here.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shawty: Quite right! Your explanation is perfectly plausible & reasonable. One should not make accusation of a personal nature on a public forum w/out a scrap of evidence. A post should be taken at its face value until proved otherwise. If one has suspicious opinions then keep them to oneself. 

And, as you say, it is completely unprofessional & it besmirches EE's public reputation to boot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shawty  Basically you got told what you didn’t want to hear that doesn’t mean it’s wrong it’s means you didn’t like it.    No one here knows who you are or what your true intentions are and thay could be genuine or it just might not be genuine.  No one has accused you of anything so don’t get all upset by not liking what you got told. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: Doesn't mean it's right either. In fact it was meaningless!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  No one has said it’s not  possible, At what point did anyone accuse @Shawty of anything.   The post in itself is asking to gain access to another users account to request a replacement SIM card,    what part of that is not fraud,  good intentions or not gaining access to request a SIM card in someone else’s name is fraud and your coming across as though EE are going to allow this.   

Unfortunately the best scammers are the ones that sucker you in.   You yourself have no proof if it’s true or not but you’ve taking the stance that the world is full of honest people till proven wrong.   

And before you accuse me of anything I’ve not accused anyone of anything other than not liking a reply.  

by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B- See now your making assumptions, your questioning my reply after that, beacuse I had the audacity to tell you and @Northerner off for beeing muppets and not helping.

I completley understand, his answer, and I understand why he posted it, and on any other day, in any other situation I would have possibly even agreed with him.

In this situation, all I needed was a no or a yes, your not a police officer (Well maybe you are, I don't know) and it's not your place to question the motives of anything posted on this board, your here (I assume, and I hope) beacuse you like to help, and for that, you get my vote, I do the same with other forums and mediums.

Picking fault and critisizng other peoples posts is not at all helpfull, it makes you look like a tool, who has nothing better to do than be an asshat.

All northerner had to say was, "Sorry, nope, no way EE are going to do that", and then leave it at that.  But he/she didn't, they chose to raise a finger and attempt to chastise me as though I was some naughty little school boy who should not be asking such questions.

I do I.T. security for a living these days, believe me, if you want a crash course in what goes on in the murky underworld of shady online figures, I'll happily scare the be-jesus outta ya, my original post is fluffy rabbits and teddy bears in comparison!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok @Shawty you have mentioned me three times now so I will respond. 

My points are perfectly justifiable as there are many people who try and obtain information when they are not entitled to it. My points are perfectly valid based upon the post you made. 

As someone who trained staff at Orange, then you may want to look at the way you have (now three times) criticised me before questioning my approach. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B  Oh give over... really "What part of my question is not fraud", are you actually listening to yourself when you say that?

Yes, I know the best scammers sucker you in, as I say, my career choices these days involves dealing with them, i'm all too aware of how they operate, and yes, as I've already said, I know how my post might sound, of that I have no aspirations on right or wrong doing.

However, as you have in every post you've made so far, your so far off missing the point I'm trying to make, that even a sling shot towards the moon would have better odd's

Gaining access to someone elses sim card, and asking if there is a process to deal with the presented situation are two totally different things, it might surprise you that some companies do in fact have procedures in place to deal with extenuating circumstances like this, but for obvious reasons they generally don't make them public knowledge, here's a question for you, do you know what the procedure is for Orange internally when they are made aware that an account owner is deceased?

I do.

Can you imagine what would happen if they made the knowledge of that process generally available?  How many posts do you think you would see in this forum, from folks trying to game the system?

Instead, they keep it quiet and wait until people ask.

Then they quickly and plainly, give the person the info they need, and leve them to it.

They don't try to question why the person might want to report a user as deceased, they don't try to reason with them or call them out about it, it's a simple sensitive subject with one of two answers:

1) No process in place

2) Here's what you need to do.....

There is no other place for any other answer.

by Shawty Investigator
Investigator

@Northerner- I never said your points where unjustifyable, just that it wasn't an appropriate answer for the question as asked.  If I've mentioned you more than I'm allowed, then I appologise, but I'm not going to refer to you as it/him/her/that or any combination of, when communicating about a matter which involves you, as that would indeed be very rude of me, your post while making a valid post, was simply not a helpful or constructive answer.

All you had to say was, "Sorry, nope, no way to do it" and leave it there.  I've said this several times in this thread now, and it just does not seem to be sinking in, I can make an educated guess as to why, but you know what, I'm obviously wasting my breath.

It's obviously just not making any sense to you, or @Chris_B as to why you got my back up about this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shawty  Call EE and ask to speak with the complex team.  At best they’ll put the account on hold until further notice. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions