by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

Problems with an Orange SIM

I live in England and I have been sent a SIM, on a SIM only deal, which identifies itself, on my phone, as an 'Orange SIM'. I realise that EE was formed by the merger of Orange UK and T-Mobile UK several years ago.

When I try to make a phone call, I am reminded by my phone, every time, that the SIM will be going into 'roaming' mode to make the call and asks for my authorisation for this. I can of, course, turn off this roaming warning in 'Settings' on the phone but to do that I would risk not being warned of perhaps a very expensive call when I am abroad - particularly outside Europe.

Similarly, I cannot connect to the internet unless I authorise 'data roaming' on the phone, upon which the phone connects to the internet no problem. Again, I am concerned that having the phone permanently set to data roaming could, inadvertently, result in some nastly data charges when I am abroad - particularly outside Europe.

I was previously with Three and there was no issue with roaming on either calls or data with them, on the same phone. 

The whole purpose of authorising data roamimg is to ensure that the user is warned of what could potentially be high usage charges when outside his home country. It should NOT  be necessary to have to permanently authorise roaming when in ones own country.

Is this problem due to the fact that I have an Orange SIM and, as there presumably is no specific Orange network in the UK any more, the SIM needs to roam to find another network, even if that other network turns out to be EE? If this is so, how do I go about getting a SIM that identifies itself on my phone as an EE SIM? In fact, why are Orange SIMs still being issued at all, years after the merger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tongu05    

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Problems with an Orange SIM

@tongu055  Where did you order this sim from ?  You can not get a Orange UK sim contract any more as EE stopped customers joining Orange a few years ago.     

Your not roaming when in the UK so you shouldn’t be getting any messages about roaming when in the UK.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tongu055 wrote:

When I try to make a phone call, I am reminded by my phone, every time, that the SIM will be going into 'roaming' mode to make the call and asks for my authorisation for this.

Is this happening when you try to make a call when you are in UK?

If so, you have somehow been sent a foreign Orange SIM. Who sent it to you & why?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tongu055,

Are you able to give us some more information about where you got the SIM card.

If you could get back to us with answers to @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX questions we can help you further 🙂

Alex

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the three responses.

As regards the points raised in the three responses, I can advise as follows :-

1   The SIM was supplied by PlusNet, which, as I am sure that you all know, just like EE,  is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT. In all its advertisments, PlusNet claims to use the EE network for all of the SIMs that it provides. This was the basis upon which I did business with PlusNet.

2   All the experiences which I am relating are occuring in the UK. I have not been abroad since acquiring the SIM.

3   I have no idea whether the SIM is a 'foreign' Orange SIM or not. I have no way of telling. All I can say is that the SIM identifies itself on my phone screen as being an Orange SIM. I have only just (about a week ago) entered into the contract with PlusNet and had the SIM delivered, so it should not be an 'old SIM'. So, the question arises as to why PlusNet have provided an Orange SIM at all.

4   I can only repeat what I have said earlier about how the SIM behaves and the need to authourise roaming prior to being able to make either a telephone call or to connect to the internet. I can also repeat that, with my previous provider - Three - this was never an issue and with the same handset. The only difference, as far as I can see, is that, in the case of Three, it has never either merged with another company or changed the name of its network, as Orange has done.

5   I hope to be able to convince PlusNet that they need to replace the SIM, for one which identifies itself as an EE SIM but I want to be sure of my facts before approaching them.

I look forward to any further assistance.      

by Profile closed
Not applicable

As this is a PlusNet SIM card you have, there is nothing EE can do unfortunately.  You will need to contact PlusNet directly.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tongu055  You might want to direct your questions to the plusNet forums.   EE only provides plusnet customers a signal nothing more.  PlusNet is a separate company to EE. 

https://community.plus.net/?_ga=2.157746618.1406032752.1544386318-853010888.1544386318&_gac=1.142172...

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@tongu055 I use to be a life mobile customer which was turned into plusnet mobile the sim cards which are issued by Plusnet do use the old Orange system it shouldnt be saying your roaming though as your in the UK.

It sounds like your sim requires a sim update so it knows it aint roaming as the sim thinks it's home network is Orange and the only available network now is EE that's why it's constantly asking you to roam as the Orange network is no longer available.

The Orange network masts broadcasted 234-33 they were upgraded and swapped over to 234-30 which was formerly T-Mobile now EE

So because the sim ain't seeing 33 and only 30 if the sim ain't got the correct sim update it would see it as a roaming network.

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

In reply to jmitchel :-

I do not expect EE (as a company) to do anything. I have not and would not approach EE (as a company), as clearly my contract is with PlusNet. However that is not the same thing as saying that I should not contact this forum, in view of EE's involvement here. As I said in my earlier email, I am gathering evidence in an attempt to persuade PlusNet that they should replace the SIM, preferably with an EE SIM and not an Orange SIM (as I am convinced that this has something to do with the problem, in view of the fact that I have no problems with Three as my provider). I accept that I have now also gone as far as I can with this forum and my next step is to approach PlusNet.

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

In reply to Chris_B :-

Thank you for your suggestion but I have already had 'discussions' on the PlusNet forum concerning this - I have got as far as I can with the people on there. I naturally approached the Plusnet forum first. EE does a bit more than just providing a signal to PlusNet customers - EE, or one of its own subsidiaries, provides PlusNet with the SIMs as well. I am aware that PlusNet is a separate company to EE, although they are both wholly owned subsidiaries of BT and, to that extent, have an interest in each other's good fortune.

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

In reply to Dai :-

I couldn't agree more, that is why I will be trying to get PlusNet to replace the SIM, prefereably with an EE SIM.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@tongu055 to be truthful If I was you I would leave Plusnet & move to EE directly.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.