by borisd0
Explorer

Phone Security

Some thoughts on Phone Security.

Recently I had a simultaneous attack on my phone and credit card. How did it happen? My phone number was diverted, fraudulent use of my credit card followed; messages from the card company to verify the transactions went to the thief, all very clever. Incidentally the first sign of this was that my phone went off line with a message “ SIM not provisioned”.

I don’t know how this was achieved, how did someone know my password and manage to get another SIM on my number? What security checks were made by EE when the SIM was registered?

I presented myself at an EE store the following day with proof of identity to acquire a new SIM. On a computer screen for the store assistant and me to see were my FULL passwords! Could these details have found their way into the hands of those with malicious intent?

Questions.

Why does only the system know the full password (like Banks) and only a selected few characters be asked for by staff?

Why did the Network not know that a phone cannot be in Bristol one minute and in London minutes later?

If anyone can throw any light on the matter I’d like to know.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Phone Security

@borisd0   Since when did EE use passwords for you to prove who you say your are.  

How did the fraudsters know who your credit card is with ?  That’s not EEs fault.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @borisd0 

If you use the same password on other subscription services/email then it maybe one of those which is compromised which leads onto your bank/EE account? Do you use two stage authentication on all of your email or online password services?

Do you have an obvious password people can work out from say your username or social media?

In this online world you have to be more careful. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

This is SIM swap fraud.  More details can be found here.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @borisd0,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm very sorry to hear you have been the victim of identity fraud.

Did you change your account password when you visited your local EE store?

I would recommend changing the passwords on your other online accounts (email, bank etc.) in case they have also been compromised.

Find out more in How does EE keep my data secure and how can I stay secure online?

Thanks

James

by borisd0
Explorer

Thanks to all for responses.

Yes I was asked for security in the EE shop.

In the last 12 months I have been using a password manager but this does not help in some verbal transactions as they are complicated with all synbols etc.

Certainly a tightening further of procedures is under way.

Further reading seems to suggest that EE felt able to port my number over to another device.

It was the synchronised action of phone blocking & credit card fraud that surprised me.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @borisd0

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.