Highlighted
by Spatial Investigator
Investigator

Operator determined barring

Hello!

My mum has a pay as you go phone with EE. Unfortunately a year and a half ago she suffered a fall and her phone hasn't seen so much use. I tried calling her yesterday only to hear a message saying that calls to that number were not being connected.

Once I got home I tried calling 150 to check the balance on her phone, to hear another message saying there wasn't enough credit on the phone to make a call.

This morning I tried to put a £10.00 credit on the phone, but the text message to activate the credit won't send, with a message reading Operator determined barring showing on the failed text.

I'd be very grateful of any pointers as how to remedy this.

Thank you!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Operator determined barring

@Spatial It sounds like the PAYG SIM you mum was using has gone into hibernation.  If there is no chargeable activity on a PAYG SIM card for more than 179 days, the account goes into hibernation and will then get disconnected altogether unfortunately.

More details can be found here.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

@Spatial It sounds like the PAYG SIM you mum was using has gone into hibernation.  If there is no chargeable activity on a PAYG SIM card for more than 179 days, the account goes into hibernation and will then get disconnected altogether unfortunately.

More details can be found here.

View solution in original post

by Spatial Investigator
Investigator

Hello, jmitchel!

Thank you for your speedy reply!

And thank you for the link to how to resolve this problem. I'm going to try contacting the Pay As You Go care team to see if my mum's number can be saved. 

I'll update here to let you know how I get on.

Thank you, once again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If it's been 1.5 years, & certainly over 9 months, since the last chargeable action, she's lost it for good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Spatial Investigator
Investigator

Hello again!

I managed to get to speak to an advisor this morning and have been told that the number was removed in 2017, but the phone was definitely being used at that time, so am a little confused. 

I've had a look at the phone, and the most recent text from EE was received on the nineteenth of February:

"Hi, as you haven't made a chargeable call/text or used data for six months, you will now lose any remaining credit (as per our terms and conditions). Your number will also be disconnected in the next three months and we'll text you beforehand to let you know. Please call us on 150 if you would like to discuss this."

Does this mean the number is definitely gone? Between the text and what the advisor being so way off the mark, I have to admit that I'm a little confused.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Spatial

Yes, unfortunately your correct. 

After receiving this text message the number will be lost. 

Katie 🙂

by Spatial Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for all your replies, everyone. I appreciate you all taking the time to look into my problem and advise me accordingly.

I went out and bought a new sim yesterday. I think this one should get a bit more use, so hopefully this issue will be easily avoided in the future.

Thank you all, once again.

by
EE Community Support Team

Let us know if you need anything further @Spatial.

Have a great Monday 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.