by Martin6408
Visitor

New phone

I have been offered a second hand Samsung Galaxy J5 (no SIM) by a friend.

I’m something of a technophobe and not too au fait with mobiles and how they work, so hoping one of you experts can help with any advice.

I currently have a pay as you go phone with EE (2G) that is way over 10 years old, and I know I need to upgrade. I travel to Australia annually and it no longer works there.

Just wondering what my options are…

1) I would like to stay with EE.

2) I would like a pay as you go, as opposed to a monthly contract as I would only use it about 4-5 times a month, for emergencies, and texts to Australia. I wouldn’t need a pack or data access as I wouldn’t use it enough to justify the cost.

3) I would like to keep my existing number

If someone could advise on what my best options are and what I need

Sorry if this vague and ‘out of date’, I just need help!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

2 REPLIES 2
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: New phone

Hi @Martin6408,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care Team who'll be able to take a look at your account and recommend the best plan for you, based on your past usage.

Do you know if the phone you have been given is unlocked?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New phone

Is your friend's Samsung unlocked or locked to EE? It needs to be to accept an EE SIM.

It's likely you'll just need a new replacement SIM as your existing SIM will not fit the Samsung. If it does fit you can start using it straight away.

When you get it take the Samsung & old SIM into an EE shop & they'll transfer number, any SIM contacts & credit if applicable to a replacement SIM of correct size for free or order a replacement SIM online at https://explore.ee.co.uk/Order-a-new-SIM for £1.50. This will keep you on PAYG on your existing plan.

You might not use or want data now but when you discover the capabilities of the Samsung you might find that you want to & so start buying PAYG packs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.