by Stephanie-ox Investigator
Investigator

New PAYG sim showing no service

I have given my son my old iPhone 7 after I upgraded to a s9. 

I ordered him a sim, so he can whatsapp and video call family members without apple products.

When I put the SIM in the phone it shows 'no service' in the corner.

I phoned EE who asked if I've topped up yet and I said no, the only reason we need a number is to activate 3rd party apps, he doesn't actually need any credit. And he said that if I text 150 and top up £1 it will activate the SIM and I would just need to make a phone call once every 3 months. 

I didn't realise I had to do this as my partner has a EE sim that he uses as my son would like to, he's never topped up and has had the SIM for a year which still allows incoming calls etc.

I tried to do this anyway and the text wouldn't send to 150, regardless.

How do I fix the no service issue and is this true about having to have activity on the SIM every 3 months or the SIM would be blocked?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: New PAYG sim showing no service

Hello there @Stephanie-ox

Welcome to the community.

Is your iPhone an EE phone?

You should still have signal on the SIM card for receiving calls and texts.

See our EE Pay as go hibernation support article for information on keeping the SIM card active.

Thanks. Leanne 🙂

Investigator

@Leanne_T 

Yes it's my old iPhone which was on a EE contract.

There is no signal bars.

It's a new SIM I bought from the shop, it came with a phone number in the information pack and when I phone the number it will beep and then put the phone down.

I'll take a look at the thread regarding the hibernation. Do you have anything else I can try with this sim to at least get it to work? 

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Stephanie-ox  Try restarting the device a few times as the sim needs to activate before you can use it this takes up to 24 hours but it’s usually only a couple of hours if that. 

Investigator

@Chris_BI've reset the phone a few times. The sim has been in there for 3 days now im starting to wonder if i've maybe bought a faulty sim...

by

Hi there @Stephanie-ox

Are you able to try the SIM card in another phone?

If you can try this and let us know if you get service 🙂

Leanne.

Highlighted
Investigator

@Leanne_TTried it in my partners phone with a working EE sim in. Put the sim i bought in and still says no service on that phone too.

by

Thanks @Stephanie-ox

In this case it could be a faulty SIM card.

If you call us on 150 we will get you a replacement SIM sent, or you can pop into an EE retail store with photo ID to get this replaced.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions