by jackmod Investigator
Investigator

I live in Europe and want to convert my EE SIM to an ESIM

I live in Europe and have a SIM from Orange (formerly) and now EE; it's an account I've had and used for years.

I know I can convert my EE SIM to an ESIM, to use in an iPhone XS, but I want to know if it's going to be legal/valid as far as EE rules and regulations might be applied.   The physical SIM would be a European number, in my case Belgian.

Some organisations, like banks for example, recognise people who move to Europe with existing accounts but don't then allow them to open new accounts from addresses outside the UK - for which they need to have a valid UK address.

Bearing this in mind, and the fact that I've had an EE number for years, I want to make sure I don't get turned off by EE the moment I try to convert my EE SIM to an ESIM.  After all, if I travelled to the USA or China, I could get an ESIM at the airport on arrival, but that's not quite the same as going to live permanently in a nearby European country, because it could be assumed that I'm travelling from the UK to another country.  Too, my hard SIM is Belgian and my ESIM would then be from the UK.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: I live in Europe and want to convert my EE SIM to an ESIM

Hi @jackmod just make sure when you go to store that you take your passport as they will need to see ID.

9 REPLIES 9
by dp61 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi there! 😊

EE terms and conditions state that EE'S plans are for people that live in the UK and travel abroad sometimes. 

Also, I believe the ESIM can only be sent to a UK address.

You're best bet is to phone 150 and ask them about it.

Thanks 😊

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jackmod   Esims can only be used on contracts not PAYG.  So unless this is a contract number that you want moving to the eSim then it’s not possible.   

while you can use a contact abroad for long periods abroad you’ll be charged international calling/texts and data will get expensive after 2 months.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jackmod  :

1. Is it on contract or PAYG? If PAYG, you can't have a PAYG SIM made into an eSIM.
  2. Is it still on Orange or was it made to transfer to EE. Orange SIMs can't have an eSIM.
  3. Was it bought from Orange UK? Orange France etc. are nowt to do with EE.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by jackmod Investigator
Investigator

I've had a contract with EE for years - before then I was on the same monthly with Orange  (it's not a PAYG).

Not overly bothered about the cost of text because I don't text anyone, nor do I use data.

I only ever use my EE phone in the UK.

All I wanted to do was change my UK SIM to an ESIM in my iPhone XS - without breaking any EE rules.

by jackmod Investigator
Investigator

As I said above it's on a monthly contract (not PAYG), and I was originally with Orange in the UK, before they changed to EE (the SIM card has EE on it)

This has nowt to do with the different version of Orange in Europe: purely a UK SIM, iPhone, etc. all of which I've bought from EE.

I'm not on a fixed contract with EE, in that the last time I was in their shop I purchased (i.e. it wasn't free) an iPhone and that was way back in 2015.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us @jackmod

To activate an eSIM you will need to be in the UK, this can be sent to a UK address or collected from a local EE Store

Katie 🙂

by jackmod Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the advice.  I can pop into an EE store next time I'm in London.

My main concern was that I didn't want to break EE's rules by trying to get an ESIM.   Elsewhere I've seen all manner of comments that said that EE would send a QR code and instructions booklet, but it's not a problem to go into a store and deal with a human.

I really don't want to run up against officialdom in the shop where they want to cancel my contract because I no longer live in the UK (you know, clap me in irons and have me transported, or whatever - I jest, of course).

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @jackmod just make sure when you go to store that you take your passport as they will need to see ID.

by jackmod Investigator
Investigator

OK - I'll need that to get on the train, so it will be in my bag.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions