by
EE Community Support Team

How to activate your new EE SIM Card

There are a few reasons why you’d need to change your EE SIM card. In this post we’ll list those reasons and tell you how to activate your new EE SIM card.

Reason for new SIM card How to activate                 
 You have a brand new EE contract or pay as you go plan  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner
 You have upgraded your contract (or from pay as you go to pay monthly) and your new phone needs a different sized SIM card  Register you new SIM card at ee.co.uk/simswap if you upgraded with EE direct. If you upgraded via a third party they will activate the SIM card for you
 Your old SIM card was faulty  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner
 You lost your old SIM card  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner
 Your old SIM card was stolen  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner
 Your old SIM card was damaged  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner
 You have a new phone which required a different sized SIM card  Register your new SIM at ee.co.uk/simswap
 You are upgrading from Orange or T-Mobile to EE  Just insert your new SIM into your phone and it will activate automatically within 24 hours, but often sooner

If you need to activate your SIM card online you will need an EE signal on your old SIM so you can receive a text.

During the activation process you will be asked for your new SIM serial number. It’s located underneath the barcode on the letter that came with the new SIM (see below). You will need to enter a 14 digit number so it’s important to include the 2 numbers in brackets at the end.

sim serial.jpg

A few points to bear in mind…

• If you have upgraded your phone and your old SIM card is the correct size you can continue using it

• When upgrading from an Orange or T-Mobile plan to EE you won’t be left without service, your old SIM will continue to work until your number transfer completes

• If your new SIM card fails to activate for any reason please get in touch with customer service

I hope this helps you get started, thanks for reading.

As always, please hit reply if you have any questions.

10 REPLIES
by Gareth693

Re: How to activate your new EE SIM Card

Hi James

My old SIM has stopped working in my old S6

My new SIM has not activated in my new upgrade S8 plus

Confused.

I went through SIM swap about 8 o'clock last night

by

Hi @Gareth693 and welcome to the community.

Please try popping your new phone off and back on to see if that helps the process.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Wojtex
Explorer

Hi I have new sim data card. It has been more than 24 hours, but it still says No Service. I have restarted my router/phone, and know that there is signal where I live, so I'm not sure what is wrong with it? And i can't activate it with a pin because there is no service to recieve the text from EE.

by

Hi @Wojtex and welcome to the community.

What was the reason for receiving the new SIM?

Is this for pay as you go or pay monthly?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Wojtex
Explorer

It is new card - the reason to have it it is that I am new customer. it is pay as you go.

by

Thanks for the information, @Wojtex.

Was the device that you're using the SIM with supplied by EE or is it an unlocked device?

Chris

by DannyRichards19
Explorer

Hi I have a new contract with ee through carphone warehouse and I've put my sim in and its been over 24 hours since and still can't call text or use my data I've  tried taking the sim out and putting it back in I've turned it on and off still nothing it has the ee symbol in the top left corner of the phone 

by

Hi @DannyRichards19

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

Is this a SIM only contract or did you get a new phone with your contract?

What kind of phone is it?

Chris

by DannyRichards19
Explorer

Hi chris

its a new phone contract and the phone is a Sony xz1 I've had it since Saturday and I ain't even been able to make a call 

by

Thanks for confirming that @DannyRichards19.

I've sent you a private message looking for some more information about this.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.