by Silverguy Investigator
Investigator

How long will my prepaid SIM remain valid without a top-up?

I am a regular business visitor to the UK and would like to keep the same mobile number (as I do for other countries I visit regularly). Do I need to retain a credit balance on my SIM to keep it valid? The expiry periods seem short when compared with other telcos I use.

Without a top-up (no balance) how long will the SIM remain valid?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How long will my prepaid SIM remain valid without a top-up?

6 months after which you have further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it.

When you do come to use it next leave a small balance residue & send a text (15p each) while in UK to a UK no. within every 5 1/2 months, say, & it will stay active indefinitely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

6 months after which you have further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it.

When you do come to use it next leave a small balance residue & send a text (15p each) while in UK to a UK no. within every 5 1/2 months, say, & it will stay active indefinitely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Silverguy  It sounds like your using packs and they last for 30 days if you would like your credit to last longer you can have a normal PAYG where your credit will not go toward packs each month but will remain until used up via calls or texts. To have this just text STOP PACK to 150.  If you need data you’ll need to purchase a data bundle and these last 30 days.   The same rule applies to this as what @XRaySpeX has put and you’ll need to make a chargeable call/text to keep the sim active. 

Investigator

Thank you!

Investigator

Thanks Chris,

As I won't be back in the UK for months, can I switch to the normal PAYG from the website?

As I'm not sure if my SIM will allow me to text as you suggest " text STOP PACK to 150".

Thoughts welcomed.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Silverguy,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Can you try texting STOP PACK to 150 and let me know if you receive a response?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As long as your credit remains low or stays zero there is no need to STOP PACK when you are outside UK. Packs will only be auto bought when your credit is enough. e.g. >= £10, if it is packs you really want while in UK.

Investigator

Hi James,

I sent the SMS as you suggested and received a confirming response. Yay!

So as I understand it, I now need to be sure that there is still some balance in my EE account (online) and to send at least one SMS or make a call every 30-days to keep it active.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Kim

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, it only needs to within every 179 days.

Investigator

Thanks!

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Silverguy Smiley Happy

You know where to find us if you any further questions.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.