by hitch37 Investigator
Investigator

How do I chase the activation of my new EE sim when transferring from Orange

Hi,

I have purchased a new monthly sim card, on line from EE to enable me to keep my number but move from Orange. I was told it would transfer almost straight away after receiving the Sim, but  three days later still waiting. Interesting that when I try to speak by mobile to EE they transfer me to Orange and Orange say speak to EE.

Does anybody know who to talk to or do i just send the sim back and stay with Orange?

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I chase the activation of my new EE sim when transferring from Orang

@hitch37.  You purchased a new sim so you didn’t upgrade and because you didn’t upgrade your number is not being migrated to the EE sim.   You need to upgrade to have it migrated to the EE sim.    But I’ll call EE customer services and ask them if they can help you migrate your Orange number to your EE. 

by hitch37 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick response and offer to help.

I have the new EE sim card in my old Orange sim phone now and it has come up that I need  to 'enter network MEP code (10 left)'.

Would this MEP code be on the sim card? The card packaging has  a mobile number ( not mine), a 4 digit pin number and a 8 digit PUK number. It also has 2  bar codes, consisting of one 12 digit formation and the other 13 digits in  a 1,6,6 digit formation.

Could one of these activate the new sim and the number swap is something else to be sorted beween orange and ee?

Thanks again for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It means that your phone is locked to Orange & won't accept an EE SIM.

If you bought that phone yourself direct from EE/Orange & it is not 2nd-hand, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form and giving the mobile number that it originally came with.

Is the EE SIM you bought on PAYG with a monthly Pack or on a monthly SIM-Only contract?

If you were on Orange PAYG, you won't be able to stay with Orange for much longer. EE are in the process of moving all Orange a/c's to EE - see Orange pay as you go is moving to EE .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by hitch37 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

So do you know if any of the numbers on the new sim packaging are the numbers I need to enter?

Regarding your other questions,

I have been paying monthly to Orange but the signal and network symbol has been coming up EE for a year or two.

I also have a unlocked new phone and the new EE sim is not  activating on that  either although the old orange sim does work fine in that new phone.

The new EE sim is monthly sim only and was bought due to EE offering to match a sim only offer made to me by BT.

I realise that Orange are going as I have been with them for about 8 years and was quite content to swap to ee.

I am confused as to your comments about the need for the unlocking forms as  neither my old phone is locked or the new one. Am i missing something in what you mean?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

None of the SIM packaging nos. will be an unlock code. It is not the SIM that would need unlocking but the phone itself. The error msg you got would seem to indicate it is your Orange phone that needs unlocking. Is it by any chance a Blackberry?

Does the unlocked new phone come up with the same error msg? If not, it'll be a diff issue preventing the EE SIM working in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by hitch37 Investigator
Investigator

Hi again and thanks for the quick response.

Thought that would be too easy for the number to be available onn the package!

Please bear with me, the old phone is indeed a blackberry, so are you saying that it will not work with a new ee sim unless it is unlocked? Not bothered about the old Blackberry working though.

Ideally I want the new EE sim  with my old Orange number to work in the  brand new and unlocked new phone. ( The new phone tested and does work with the old Orange simcard in it)

Unfortunately, the new phone keeps trying to register the new EE sim card each time I turn it on but comes up as not recognised which I thought was because it was not activated by EE. Does this sound right?

Thanks again for your help

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@hitch37 wrote:

I was told it would transfer almost straight away after receiving the Sim, but  three days later still waiting.

Who told you & when? Purchasing on line would not be telling you a thing. You should have phoned EE to transfer your Orange contract to EE. Then they would have sent you an EE SIM with your old no. or at least transferred it for your.

Basically you took the wrong step by buying an EE SIM-Only contract in isolation from your Orange no.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

My info from GIYF is that a network MEP code is for unlocking a Blackberry. Why are you sure it is unlocked?

You will need to phone EE to transfer your Orange no. to the newly bought EE SIM-Only so that you can use it in your new phone.

by hitch37 Investigator
Investigator

Wow,

Not so helpful this time, thanks anyway, will give the person I spoke to at EE a ring and get it sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.