by Gemsie Investigator
Investigator

Get back my old number

I was with EE prior to moving abroad for a 18 months. I'm returning to the UK and it would be very helpful to get my old number back. I've rung customer services twice and they say that they can see my old number on the system, but they cannot reactivate it as I've been away too long (understandable).

However, is there a way I can request this number? It's not special in any way, other than I had it for a number of years and my number when abroad was 80% identical, so it's not a Bronze/Silver/Gold number.

I've read a number of posts on the forum saying that it CAN be done, and I just need to ring customer services, but they don't seem to know anything about it when asked. Could I puchase another SIM and then ring to get my old number transferred? Does anyone have a definitive answer as customer support don't! 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Get back my old number

Morning @Gemsie

Thanks for coming to the community.

Was the number on pay as you go?

If so, please see our pay as you go hibernation post for full information on our hibernation process>

Thanks, Leanne.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The answer is no you won' be able to get it back.

It would have already gone back into hibernation if not already being used by someone else.

Where did you read you can get it back?

That may be the case that after 6 months of non use you can get it back within a 3 month period. But you were gone for 18 months so it will defiantly be lost now.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Gemsie Investigator
Investigator

I read it on the forum on quite a number of posts, so thought it could be done. They can see my number in the system but the reactivate button has gone as I've been away for so long. However, I want to know if I can 'buy' it back, like you would with a gold or similar number.

by Gemsie Investigator
Investigator

Hi Leanne, it was on a monthly contract.

by

Hi @Gemsie

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

@Leanne_T is off, probably eating Turkey Sandwiches, so it's just me your stuck with ha ha.

The answer is no, this isn't possible to do.  Not the answer I want to give nor one you'll probably want to hear, however it is correct.

Have a brilliant 2018.

Richard

🙂

by Gemsie Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Richard_C, can you explain why previous forum posts have said that this is possible then? These are just three that I quickly found, but there are more:

Choose own number

Number request service

New sim number

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

They will be choosing a Bronze Silver or Gold number.

These numbers are set so the number you had most likely wouldn't fall under this category. So this wouldn't be possible.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by

Hi @Gemsie

The information @BrendonH has given, I agree with.

You could always call customer services to double check.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.