Highlighted
by RS3100 Investigator
Investigator

EE won't block IMEI of stolen phone

Yesterday my wife had her phone stolen. It was only a few days old. She is on a rolling EE SIM only contract and I bought her the phone to replace one which had broken. She called EE customer services yesterday, gave them her details and IMEi and was assured that the phone and SIM would be blocked. The agent said he would also arrange for a replacement SIM to be sent to her. So far so good.

This morning, I reported the theft to our insurer, to start a claim. The agent checked an industry database and told me that the IMEI was not on the database, which it should be if it had been blocked. I explained the situation to him and he stated that to progress the claim, we would need to contact EE to confirm that the phone had been blocked, and to obtain an email or similar proof to that effect, which I could forward to him. None of this would have been necessary if the IMEI was on the database already.

My wife called EE customer services again, and after checking her details she was told that:

Her phone had not been blocked and EE would not block it because they had not supplied the phone.

EE had not stopped the SIM and could not do so until my wife had received and activated a replacement SIM.

The agent also stated that a new SIM had not been ordered despite what the other agent stated when she originally reported the theft. 

The agent also refused to supply written confirmation of what she had told my wife and all she offered to send us was a document confirming that the SIM was registered on the network and the time, date and type of the last network usage.

We are now in limbo because our insurer is stating that it is EE's responsibility as the network provider to block the phone. EE say it is not, but declined to state that in writing to assist us!

Who is right and how do we go about getting the phone blocked?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: EE won't block IMEI of stolen phone

Good Morning @RS3100

Welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear your wife's phone has been stolen. 

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
by Legend
Legend

Hi @RS3100 

Where did you buy the phone from? 

EE won't block it if it's not used on their network. Have you reported the loss to the police? 

You can ask your insurers to set up a three way call with EE to verify your account.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by RS3100 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Northerner,

The phone was purchased from John Lewis. The SIM was an EE SIM belonging to my wife on a monthly SIM only contract, so yes it was in use on EE's network which they have confirmed to my wife as an email attachment which states that fact, together with the date that the SIM was first used and the date and time of the last network connection. What EE are saying they won't do is to block the phone. Nor according to the agent my wife spoke to today will they block their SIM which was in the phone at the time of the theft, until my wife has received a replacement SIM and activated it.

Yes, she has reported it to the police. We have a crime number, and witnesses including an employee in the premises where it was stolen who has stated that CCTV is available.

I have also entered the phone details including its IMEI on immobilise.com and marked it as stolen. 

It just seems that no-one wants to enter it on this "industry database" as the insurer referred to it, which they said is automatic when blocked by any network provider.

It is the discrepancy between the information we have been given by different EE reps that is irritating me, particularly as the first does not appear to have done what he told my wife he had done, at least according to what she has since been told by the second rep, who also added that she wouldn't block the phone, even though it was in use on the EE network, which she has confirmed.

She also said verbally that the SIM was still connected to the EE network 7 hours after the time that it was stolen, but that nothing would be charged against my wife's contract.

I confess to having very little understanding of the intricacies of all this, but I am annoyed that I have spent the best part of a day trying to sort out what seems to be a very simple problem, and apparently getting nowhere 😞

by
Solution

Good Morning @RS3100

Welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear your wife's phone has been stolen. 

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by RS3100 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you Katie,

Received and replied 😊

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@RS3100 wrote:

The phone was purchased from John Lewis. The SIM was an EE SIM belonging to my wife on a monthly SIM only contract

But what network SIM was it originally bought with from JLP? Maybe it's that network that should be blacklisting it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by RS3100 Investigator
Investigator

But what network SIM was it originally bought with from JLP? Maybe it's that network that should be blacklisting it.

SIM free/unlocked/bare phone. The type that you buy to use with a SIM only contract 😉

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, OK. Yes, they're the ones I also buy from online stores. I thought the ones sold by JLP would be unlocked but associated with a network, but looking online I now see that they are SIM-less.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by RS3100 Investigator
Investigator

Phone now blocked 👍

Thank you @Katie_B and the lovely Danielle at EE 😊

by

Hi @RS3100,

I'm so please Danielle was able to get this resolved for you and your wife this evening!

Please come back to the community if you need anything else.

I hope you guys enjoy your weekend 🙂

Alex

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.