by Gazzer1956 Investigator
Investigator

EE sim not working

This is an odd problem I am trying to solve this for an older person who is struggling with the local EE store to get it sorted.

Basically when his EE sim is put in his phone it comes up with the error - No Sim Card. The phone is an Alcatel 4034X which I think is a PIXI 4(?), he purchased 2 from EE a few years ago, the result is the same with both phones. However when he puts the sim in another more basic phone it works so the sim seems to be OK. He went to the EE store told them the problem and purchased a new sim and they could not get it to work in the Alcatel phone either.

The odd thing is I have tried the Alcatel with 2 Asda sims (EE) and 1 Plusnet sim (EE) and they are recognised without problem. I have tried all the obvious, toggle airplane mode, cleaned the contacts, starting the phone without a sim, reset back to factory settings etc. and nothing makes a difference. 

The EE shop said the phone must be locked to one of the other sims, I have not heard of this so I think they are just trying to fob him off as he is old. Also if that were possible why do all the other EE (Asda, Plusnet) sims work without a problem.

Anybody come across this before or any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE sim not working

Hi @Gazzer1956

Welcome to the community. 

That certainly sounds like a bit of a conundrum. 

My initial thought was the same: that it could be locked. Are you able to try another networks SIM. Preferably not an MVNO that uses our network? That may tell us if the phone is locked to ASDA Mobile/Plusnet.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Investigator

Hi Chris

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I do not have another EE native sim, I tried an O2 sim and got the same No Sim Card error on one of the phones (he has 2 Alacatels but one has a damaged screen) and the other (damaged screen) which has not had any sims other than EE ones in it asks for the SIM ME code when the 02 sim is inserted but neither recognises his original or replacement EE sim, both have the same No Sim Card error. Would they not have checked if it was locked in the store and that is why they suggested it was or was it just a way of them moving the problem out of the store.

Considering the phones are a few years old I expect they are both locked to EE but why they do not recognise a native EE sim is difficult to understand.

by

The store may be able to check if they're locked to EE, but not to another network, @Gazzer1956. It's a reasonable assumption that the phone could be locked to another network. Do you know which network they were originally purchased on?

Has an EE SIM ever worked in it?

Chris

Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G , they were purchased from EE and at some time they have worked on the EE network but that was some time ago, they have not been used on any other network. It is a mystery.

by

Hi @Gazzer1956

I have sent you a private message, please take a look at get back to me.

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

The old guy who owns the phone went back to the store with a few more questions I gave him and apparently one of the sim holder pins is damaged so the store are sending it off for repair. I am not sure that is the case as the new sim does not work in either of the Alcatel phones he has and the other sims do but I am crossing my fingers and hope it cures the problem. I will leave this discussion open so I can post an update (hopefully a solution) when the phone is repaired just in case anyone else has the same problem in future.

Thanks for the suggestions and help so far.

by

Hi @Gazzer1956

Thanks for letting us know, it would be great if you could keep us updated with your progress. 

Have a great weekend,

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.