by wellborn77881 Contributor
Contributor

EE Sim Cards for our US AT&T GoPhones

My family will be flying into Manchester and spending two weeks in the United Kingdom; London, Cardiff, Betws-y-Coed, etc.  We want to use our unlocked US AT&T GoPhones with EE Sim Cards / Pay-As-You-Go plans and want to make sure our phones will work.  One phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900A 4G LTE and the other two are Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE.  I have used the "Will My Phone Work" website sucessfully for the Samsung, but my version of the Lumia 640 (North America AT&T) is not listed.  The Lumia 640 shows the following Supported Bands when I do a ##3282# band check:

LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 17, 28

GSM DCS 1800

E GSM 900

GSM 850

GSM PCS 1900

B1-WCDMA 2100

B2-WCDMA 1900

B4-WCDMA US 1700

B5-WCDMA US 850

I would appreciate any help on confirming our phones will work with EE Sim Cards in the UK.

Thank you, David

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Solution

Re: EE Sim Cards for our US AT&T GoPhones

Trip report.  Our US AT&T GoPhone, Lumia 640, worked great in the UK.  Eventhough I only had one 4G band, Band 7 2600, I got 4G everywhere I went.  Even in small towns like Betws-y-Coed and at Stonehenge site.  Now, getting EE up and working on our phones was an ordeal, but that's for another discussion.

10 REPLIES 10
by Profile closed
Not applicable

EE predominantly use band 3 (1800) for LTE/4G as well and band 7 (2600) in major cities and now also band 20 (800) in rural areas so it's doubtful that handset will see much if any LTE/4G as it only looks to support band 7.

EE also use band 3 (1800) for 2G/GSM and band 1 (2100) for 3G everywhere.

You may find that handset only picks up 2G and nothing else unfortunately.

Contributor

I knew that 4G would be limited, but I thought the "B1-WCDMA 2100" band would at least give us 3G everywhere.  Is that not correct?

by Profile closed
Not applicable

I'm really not sure sorry at it mentions WCDMA which is the system we don't use here, though I presume you use yours on AT&T which is also a GSM network, the same as the networks here?

If I roam in the USA, I can use either AT&T or T-Mobile but nothing else.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @wellborn77881

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

@Profile closed has tons of experience using his phone in the USA and I'm confident if anyone can help you with this, it's him.

Hope you get all the answers you need.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Contributor

jmitchel,

I have done some research and think my phone will work on ee's 3g network.  I found this information "There are no cellular companies that are not based on WCDMA except Sprint. WCDMA is the standard for 3G network.  There are no phones that are not WCDMA compatible. All carriers except U.S. Cellular and Sprint are based on WCDMA with all GSM phones compatible with WCDMA technology."  I also found that Microsoft shows its Great Britain version of the Lumia 640 has the WCDMA Band 1 same as the US version.  It's all very confusing.  All that said, if my phone does work on EE's 3G network, is 3G available everywhere that EE has service?  Thanks, David

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @wellborn77881

It sounds like the phone's will work fine on 3G.

You can check out the 3G coverage on the Coverage Checker.

Where it asks for the postcode enter the location then tap Check Coverage, then tap Map in the bottom right-hand corner.

Once you have the map loaded tap 3G on the left hand-side.

Hope this helps - if you need anything else let us know.

Enjoy your time in the UK! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Contributor
Solution

Trip report.  Our US AT&T GoPhone, Lumia 640, worked great in the UK.  Eventhough I only had one 4G band, Band 7 2600, I got 4G everywhere I went.  Even in small towns like Betws-y-Coed and at Stonehenge site.  Now, getting EE up and working on our phones was an ordeal, but that's for another discussion.

by

Hi @wellborn77881,

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad you were able to connect to 4G in all of the places you visited.

If you would like me to pass on any feedback about the issues you had setting up your EE service, please let me know.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Smiley Happy

James

Contributor

Re: EE Sim Cards for our US AT

James,To get the £10 and £15 Data Packs we had to select the plans and have the sim cards shipped to us.  Since EE only ships to the UK, we had them shipped to the EE Store in Sale (close to the Manchester Airport).  That all went fine and the packages with our sim cards were waiting for us when we got there.  The manager at the store was terrific and got our cards installed and took our payment.  However, we discovered that £10 and £15 Everything Packs had been placed on our phones instead of Data Packs.  The manager called EE and spent over half an hour trying to explain the problem and getting it corrected.  After almost an hour in the store, he did get them corrected (we thought).  We did not discover for a couple of days that the one phone that should have had the £10 Data Plan did not get corrected.  Because of this, we had to purchase more credit to add additional data to finish out the trip.  We just did not have the time to try and deal with it ourselves after seeing what all the manager had to go through to get the other two phones corrected.  So, our overall experience with EE was good, but the time spent setting the phones up and having to purchase additional data was a downer.Thanks for listening,David
by

Re: EE Sim Cards for our US AT

Thanks again @wellborn77881

That's really useful feedback.

I'll make sure it's passed over to the right people. Smiley Happy

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.