by Thepies
Explorer

Daughters Christmas Present, Can I activate new SIM in old phone?

We are going to surprise our daughter with a new iPhone 7 (bought on a new contract with new SIM) for Christmas which she doesn't know she's getting. She currently has an unlocked iPhone 5 with an idMobile SIM in it and she will want to keep her old number, so I will get the PAC code from id and get this transferred to the new EE SIM.

We obviously want her up and running and using the new phone on Christmas Day but if we transfer the number beforehand her old phone will stop working so she will know something is up.

Would I be able to port the old number to the new EE SIM, put this in her old phone so she doesn't suspect anything, and then on Christmas Day take the EE SIM out of the old phone and pop it in the new one? I know the old phone will change from id to EE for the service provider on the screen but I will just string her a line about EE taking over id, LOL.

Will everything work fine or does the new SIM need activating in the phone it was bought with, ie the iPhone 7?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Daughters Christmas Present, Can I activate new SIM in old phone?

HI, @Thepies

If that phone is unlocked and you port the number on EE network then yes you can use that in old phone. 

When you want to setup your new phone simply take the sim out from old phone and put in your new iPhone and you ready to go.

Its up to you how you keep it surprise form your daughter. 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

HI, @Thepies

If that phone is unlocked and you port the number on EE network then yes you can use that in old phone. 

When you want to setup your new phone simply take the sim out from old phone and put in your new iPhone and you ready to go.

Its up to you how you keep it surprise form your daughter. 

Thanks 

by Thepies
Explorer

Many thanks tahirmian.

Yes, the iPhone 5 is unlocked so that's great news!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.