by Rob_Tarrant Investigator
Investigator

Alcatel Auto update time

Auto update time not working on a Alcatel 1066 phone. I've make sure the auto update option is on in the menu's even factory reset the phone and make sure I didn't manually set the date and time (as the phone warns this will turn off auto update function). I'm connected to the EE network, can make and receive calls and texts but the phone still doesn't auto set the time (showing 01-01-2017 00:00 at the start). 

I'm starting to think its the sim card not supporting GPRS. I have a EE sim only everthing pack. 

Does anyone else have this problem or know how the fix?

14 REPLIES 14
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Alcatel Auto update time

Hi @Rob_Tarrant.

Welcome to the community.

Have you got a signal on the phone?

What happens when you try to set the date and time manually?

Jon

Investigator

Hi Jon_K,

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes I have a signal and can make and receive calls and texts.

When I manually set the date and time. That date and time is used and advances as normal but doesn't get corrected. ie if I set the wrong date / time, that date and time is used and doesn't get updated. 

Rob

Highlighted
by

Thanks @Rob_Tarrant.

Does the phone display any GPRS signal in the top corner?

Are you able to try a replacement SIM as you mentioned earlier you thought it may be the SIM card?

Jon

Investigator

I see some lines at the top right corner which I guess is the signal strength. Not sure if these are the GPRS signal display.

To give some more background info, I originally bought the sim package for my daughters location watch which needed a SIM card.  The Alcatel phone was only an extra 79p with the package, so I bought that too.  The SIM card couldn't set the date / time on the watch either but again could make and receive calls and texts.  The problem is there's no way to manually set the date and time on the watch it only take the GPRS signal. 

I've taken the phone, sim and watch back to the EE shop. The staff was helpful but couldn't get the auto update to work and said on these low cost phones the auto function wont work and I should try the sim in a smart phone.  But if thats the case why does the Alcatel phone have the option in the manus to set auto update? They couldn't answer.

Thats why I think its the SIM card as it doesn't work in two devices however the EE staff in the shop would not except the SIM card or everthing package is at fault.

by

Hi @Rob_Tarrant.

Are you able to try another SIM card in the phone?

Jon

Investigator

The phone is locked to EE network (I don't have the unlock code) and I'm afriad I don't have another EE sim card to try.

by

Hi @Rob_Tarrant.

Were the store not able to provide another SIM card, even just to test this?

Jon

Investigator

I asked whether they could try the SIM card in another phone or another SIM in this one but they said they couldn't as the phones on display are mock-ups (not real), which is understandable. If they tried another SIM card they have to take / open it from stock which they don't want to do.

by

I see @Rob_Tarrant.

Are you able to try factory resetting the phone again without the SIM card in and trying again?

Jon

Investigator

Thanks Jon for all your help. much appreciated.

I've just tried that now, removed the SIM card, switching on, factory reset, switch off re-installed the SIM card, switched back on, waited 5 min's with the phone on and connected to EE network. However I'm afriad same result. no auto update 

PS duoble checked the auto update time function is on in the menu.

by

Hi @Rob_Tarrant

Thanks for trying this.

We will need to get this looked into for you, if you give us a call our technical team will be able to help you further.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

Investigator

Hi, again thanks for your help.  However I trird to call your technical team on 150 and although I still have something like 248mins left on my everything pack. Calls to 150 customer services apperantly cost 25p and I don't have any credit, I would have to 'top-up' my account to be connected to the tech team.

So I'm sorry I'm not going to spend anymore on this issue. For whatever reason the auto update time function doesn't work on this SIM. I now believe that its either the SIM setup or the SIM itself at fualt as it doesn't work in two devices.

I'm afriad, apart from the help on this forum, my experiance with EE hasn't been good. I was going to say it's been a waste of £10 but I now know what to expect from the EE network.

by

Good Morning @Rob_Tarrant

I have sent you a private message for some further information, please take a look and get back to me. 

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

This is a 2G phone. Put non-technically. The time will update when a data connection is established. It sounds like data might not be set up on the phone. (It doesn't actually use any data but takes the time from the control signals)

Is there a G included in the signal strength indicator? If not then that's your problen.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.