by Iom Investigator
Investigator

16 digit security code

Hi, popped new EE card into my Alcatel phone and it requests a 16 digit input code. Where is this as all packaging doesn’t have a 16 digit number anywhere. The sim has a 12 digit only.. there’s a 4 digit pin and an 8 digit puk code plus other numbe4s with lots of barcodes on the small plastic envelope. 

I try dismiss but it still says emergency calls only. The card has been in for over a day.

im on the Isle of Man and coverage checker doesn’t work as it doesn’t recognise the postcode. 

Live chat is B.......is as it doesn’t recognise or confirm waiting or queuing.

20 REPLIES 20
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: 16 digit security code

From memory there's some other numbers in ( )'s that make the rest of the number up.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Iom

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Which network was the Alcatel purchased on? It sounds like it may be locked to that network.

Chris

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

It was Tesco mobile. I’m bit disappointed chat can’t examine my account to see what’s occurring. I’m gonna have to cancel if I don’t get resolution and just stay with tesco for a bit longer

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

The information and guidance advices should be specific about this a bit more, ie an image of what all the numbers on the SIM card envelope mean and how they relate. Worst of all is the dead dog of chat. It’s the pits and the worst I ever saw. It needs to inform you where you are in a queue so you r on the line. As it is it’s dumb. Grrrr!!

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The EE Coverage Checker is a UK Coverage Checker only.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Iom Investigator
Investigator

unlocking to start up

hi all, i switched from Tesco and upon recieving the new sim. installed and it requests 

Enter SIM ME lock (NP)

it can be dismissed but i stay fixed on emergency calls only.

the live chat is the most stresssful thing to try as you never get on

i have no way of progressing here and i'm losing both patience, contact and contract fees. Grrr!! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: unlocking to start up

@Iom   You need to request that Tesco mobile unlock your device so you can use it on a different network.   

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Iom 

Thanks for coming to the community.

The device will need unlocked to use an EE SIM card, if you get in touch with the other network, they will be able to help 🙂

Is the EE SIM on pay as you go or pay monthly?

Leanne.

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

It’s monthly contract with Tesco I’m leaving and monthly with EE. Strange Tesco never said like and as we were on good terms it seems strange EE didn’t know or remark on this either which I find poor. The phone has always been mine on a sim only basis. It’s soooo hard to get in touch though

Sent from my iPad but will follow up from laptop as appropriate, thanks Paul Sheridan
by Iom Investigator
Investigator

The advice given is not really where I am. I was monthly sim only with my own phone for years with Tesco. I move to EE and take out Sim only again .i make monthly payments not pay as you go. So why is the phone locked and why is there a need to pay 8 quid if it’s my own phone and I am not leaving during a contract period?

the other issue is 0800 numbers aren’t available and don’t work on the i o m they have to be mobile or landline.

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

The solution given offers sim only which is who I am but click on it and it doesn’t go anywhere !

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

You’d have thought the i o m was park of the uk and even if it isn’t it should explain such rather than say illegal address as it is a uk post code we have, it just starts IM1 to 8 

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

I paid for the phone myself and use a sim only plan and therefore don’t 7nderstand the need for unlocking and better still why neither Tesco or EE advise about such events occurring.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Iom wrote:

You’d have thought the i o m was park of the uk 

You might think it but you'd be wrong! The Isle of Man is officially classified as a self-governing British Crown dependency. It is in part part of the EU. Remember you did not have a vote in the UK's 2016 Brexit Referendum.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Iom Investigator
Investigator

Web chat

I need web chat to verify my  setup as it’s not working etc but I don’t see how it works. I click and it says let’s chat between 0800 and 2300 but nothing changes. Should I wait? Is there a queue position number? Am I even in a queue? How do I know whether to wait or should I just go back out and star again . It’s a really poor and very stressful w..... of t... the way it’s looking so far. We need alternatives for new customers so we sorted out and looked after better.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where did you get this device originally? Did you buy it yourself new direct from Tesco or from a reseller or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different. Was it on contract or PAYG?

You say the phone has always been yours, implying you bought it outright or on PAYG, yet you say it was on contract with Tesco.

@Iom wrote:
it seems strange EE didn’t know or remark on this either which I find poor.

Why should EE remark on anything? You are only buying a SIM from them. They don't care & don't restrict what device you stick it in.

Is £8 the Tesco unlocking fee or is it a rounding down of EE's which doesn't apply to your phone?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Web chat

@Iom : If you are on contract, on the Get in Touch page open up the "EE                  +" & you will find Live Chat, when it's available during EE UK opening hours (which are 8am to 9pm weekdays), looking like:

Capture.JPG

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

Your reply is most accurate which I’m aware of... but the issue I have is that when you go to coverage checker it should filter IM postcodes and say they don’t do such here. Not Illegal postcode and not recognised. 

So it’s an observation I’ve made that confused me until it was replied by the community that the IoM isn’t covered. That’s what the coverage checker should’ve done. 

by Iom Investigator
Investigator

I’ve been with Tesco fairly happy for years and years. I’ve been on Sim only fir years too and as I regularly break my phones I never have one on contract. 

This one in question was purchased new outright and paid in full from Tesco over a year ago def no contract. So it’s never been with another operator or network.

im the innocent party here just trying to get going and the code or other issue should not be there. So I’m left resorting to s condary means of coms trying to make contact with an EE person to assess my account situation and to verify what the problem is.

and as such the community is great but it’s not EE specific help.

so I’m still going back wards and I need others to engage and assess from their customer care access and control side. I need a web chat which seems impossible 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.