by lucks Investigator
Investigator

sim card not work in amsterdam

Good night!
I purchased an EE SIM card yesterday at the airport in England and the attendant said it would work across Europe, but when arriving in amsterdam, nothing works, although it shows that it is connected to the 4G T-Mobile NL network.
My device is roaming enabled, I've restarted the Smartphone and nothing ...
Neither SMS nor data ...

I could not send ROAMING 150 as I saw in other posts...

help...

The sim's number is xxxx**xxxxx
Tanks

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as SIM numbers on the public board. Thanks!]

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: sim card not work in amsterdam

@lucks : Is it a PAYG SIM? Did you insert it & use it before leaving the UK? EE SIMs need activating on the EE network in the UK before being used abroad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lucks.

Welcome to the community.

As @XRaySpeX has mentioned you would need to activate the SIM card in the UK before flying.

What phone are you using?

Jon

by lucks Investigator
Investigator

Good Morning !

Sorry, I'm already in Amsterdam, when I call the numbers: 44 207 362 0200 or +44 800 079 8586, both speak "service unavailable"

My smartphones are: an asus zenfone 5 android 7.1.1 and an iPhone (I bought two sim cards).

How should I proceed ?

Thank you!

by

Morning @lucks.

We can't guarantee the SIM card will work abroad if it hasn't been activated before you left the UK.

You could try manually searching for another network in settings on the phone.

Jon

by lucks Investigator
Investigator

Yesterday at the airport, the clerk said nothing about activating for international use, I asked her which sim card worked in Europe, and she said they all work, she never mentioned that she needed to activate the international service. I simply inserted the sim card into the phone and it worked there, I never thought I needed to do anything else ...
In the sim card instructions he does not mention anything about this ...
In the middle of the 21st century, I think it's very outdated that I can not activate this service without having to go back to England ...

I felt a lot of lack of respect for the user, it's the first time I use the EE service, it's a shame ...

what was the cost of EE to say that I needed to activate this service if the card worked on the first one I used in English?

Very sad.
Money thrown away.

Thanks for listening.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@lucks , This would most likely happen with all SIM cards from all the networks, certainly in this country and I suspect if you got one from another country without activating and using first before going to another country, sorry this was not explained to you, but to me seems normal, as otherwise how do you expect the network you got the SIM card from to allow it to work, no matter what century we are in.

Why buy a SIM card from the UK if you are going to be in Amsterdam, why not buy one in Amsterdam?

by

Hi @lucks.

Did you put the SIM card in your phone when you were in the UK?

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you did insert the sim card into the phone in the UK and it worked here then the SIM is activated for anywhere.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lucks Investigator
Investigator

yes i put the sim card in england (gatwick airport) and it worked at the same time.

by lucks Investigator
Investigator

The sim card worked in England while I was there, arriving in amsterdam did not work any more (despite the 4G signal on the smartphone),

I can not send SMS, call or use data ...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lucks   did you use the SIM in the UK ?  Have you selected a pack to use ?  Has a pack been activated ? 

by lucks Investigator
Investigator

Yes use the sim card in UK. And it worked there normally.

I did not select any packages, but I got a sms like this:

"Welcome to EE. Your £10 International Pack will start when you call, text or browse and £10 will come out of your credit. This gives you 500MB, 150 mins & 250 texts, plus an extra 10GB free for the first 30 days. Any additional charges at point of sale were charged by our airport partner."

Apparently it was activated, but it does not work in amsterdam ...

by

Hi @lucks,

Did you make a call, use mobile data or send a text in the UK?

The SIM card must be used in the UK before it can be used abroad.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.