by hotjambalaya Investigator
Investigator

"MAX TRAVEL" not working?

So I just landed in singapore last night, and got a text saying to text MAX TRAVEL to 150 for 500mb of data for £6 a day. Sent the text, received confirmation, but when I try to surf, it redirects me constantly to buy the super expensive data bundles.

Any ideas?

Have restarted constantly, have manually selected each network available, I 100% have roaming enabled since I just arrived from australia where all the data came out free with my max plan.

So firstly, any ideas?

secondly, I urgently need data, im travelling around, meeting people, trying to find things etc, if I buy a plan, will they refund it, since its their mess?

Have tried calling (£1.80/min!) only to find out that department still isn't open

10 REPLIES 10
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: "MAX TRAVEL" not working?

Hello @hotjambalaya were roaming and call abroad/premium rate enabled on your account at least 24-48hrs before traveling:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/EE-roaming-Getting-ready-to-use-your-phone-abroad/td-p/532570

Information on what to do when having problems using your phone abroad:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Roaming-with-EE-What-to-do-if-you-re-having-problems-abroad/td...

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you'e being redirected to the add-on page, then roaming is working on the account I would have thought.

It can take a while for an add-on to become active on your account though. EE say up to 24 hours. Have you recveived two texts? The second one saying it's ready to go?

Investigator

Yeah, roaming is working since I get texts etc.

I got the text within a few minutes saying:

"Hi, from EE, your Travel Data pass is ready to go. You only pay on the days you use data abroad in an included country so no need to remove it when you get back to the UK"

It didn't work, so I texted MAX TRAVEL again and got the message: "You already have Max Travel Data Pass available on your account"

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@hotjambalaya I know a few people have had issues with the max travel pass, though not when they are actually in the country they are meant to work in.

It's after 8am here so EE have woken up. If you can get live chat to work you could try that, or use Skype to call EE free on +44 800 956 6000, if you have wifi?

Investigator

Thanks, gave them a call. He checked, everything and thought it should be working. Went to technical department, and came back and said he'd do a network reboot or something like that. Did that, restarted my phone, and it still doesnt work.

He'll be calling me back in an hour to check. He did say that sometimes it takes 24 hours to go through, which seems weird given the text saying I was good to go. That 24 hours will be about 45 mins from now. Im only actually here about 36 more hours before heading to vietnam.

I have to say, I've found EE great in the max plan countries, europe, and australia worked great, and truly terrible anywhere else. I got locked out of my apple stuff in the south pacific last year, and discovered EE had no roaming agreement there. Great feeling knowing you're being hacked and unable to receive security texts from apple on your trusted device!

Vietnam where I'll be a lot longer I'll just be getting a local sim anyway, but its annoying knowing that your emergency fall back is mostly useless!

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@hotjambalaya Hope it gets fixed soon then.

A couple of us have had issues where we've had the maxtravel add-on on the account, and been to the inclusive max countries like the USA and NZ, and data hasn't worked and it's redirected to the buy add-on page. (EU has been fine). Removing maxtravel has fixed this. Maybe EE are still having a few issues with this new add-on.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @hotjambalaya,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems using data on your travels.

I'm sure our technical team will be able to find a resolution for you. Please keep us up to date.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

by caztheblonde

I'm having the exact same issue. Added Max Travel Data and it worked for the first time, but now when I turn on roaming, it redirects me to the expensive smaller add-ons. Tried deleting and re-adding it, rebooting device etc and nothing is working. Any other suggestions as calling EE (I'm in Ecuador) is way too expensive considering how long you have to wait to get through to anyone. Help? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @caztheblonde,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm afraid the Max Data Pass only works in South Africa, China, UAE, India, Thailand and Turkey.

Thanks

James

by leighroy Investigator
Investigator

If you text STOP MAX TRAVEL to 150 it seemed to remove it for me, the EE app didn't work

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.