by PJ1953 Investigator
Investigator

how to stop "Welcome to .." texts

I have an EE/Orange Pay as You Go sim card. I spend a lot of time in Spain, and am sick of receiving the "Welcome to Spain etc" text. I want to stop them. As advised in the text message, on 5th July I phoned Customer Services for free, only then to be charged 25p to ask the question of Customer Services. The answer they gave was to text STOP ALL to 177, which I did, and got a reply advising that I have been successfully unsubscribed.

However, I have since received 6 messages saying "Welcome to Spain etc" - roughly one a week.

Does anybody know how I can stop these messages (without me having to ring customer services again, at a cost of another 25p. 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: how to stop "Welcome to .." texts

I don't think you can. The STOP only applies to unsolicited marketing texts, not anything relevant to your a/c.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Add them to your spam txt list. That will stop you receiving them. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @PJ1953

Welcome to the EE Community 🙂

Thanks for the help @XRaySpeX and @Northerner

The welcome messages are set up to automatically send when you connect to a new roaming network so that you have all information available for the country that you're roaming in.

I can understand why you would like to remove them if you're a seasoned traveller.

I've asked the question from our side and I'm awaiting an answer.

I'll get back to you as soon as I hear anything.

Chris 🙂

by PJ1953 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I think you must be able to stop the texts, as inside the text itself it says to call Customer Services .."If you want to stop receiving these messages..."

by

@Christopher_G is back in on Monday.

He has his detective mac on (he's a big Columbo fan) as soon as he get's a response, he will get back to you.

Thanks

Richard

🙂 

by

Hi @PJ1953

I haven't forgotten about you, it's just taking a little longer than expected to find a definitive answer.

I've chased this up and will be back in contact with an answer soon.

Thanks for your patience. 🙂

Chris

by

Hi @PJ1953

Thanks again for your patience.

We do not recommend doing this, as we may need to contact you with regard to other important information, but, I have had it confirmed that you can request to opt out of regulatory messages through our customer services team.

Chris

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Surely the welcome to messages could now be stopped in the Eu as they are no longer needed are they?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by

Hi @Damienw1

They still offer information about emergency contact numbers and chargeable information for EU countries (out of plan charges), I believe.

Chris 🙂

by PJ1953 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @Christopher_G for doing some digging for me on this. Trouble is.....I have already tried phoning Customer Services and they gave me the wrong answer, and it cost me 25p!

Think I'll leave it, but thanks anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.