by Tinajh25 Investigator
Investigator

charged for Data abroad when my Mobile data was switched off the whole time?

Hello,

I have just returned from the USA and am confused as to how I have been charged for data as I switched my mobile data off on the plane at Heathrow (as I do everytime I go away) and did not switch it back on until I landed back in the UK 2 weeks later?

How is it physically possible to use data if it is switched off?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Employee

Re: charged for Data abroad when my Mobile data was switched off the whole time?

Hi and welcome to the community @Tinahjh25

When roaming on EE you first have to purchase a data bundle in order to use the allocated data.

You are not billed by MB.

How do the charges appear on your bill?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Tinajh25 Investigator
Investigator

Re: charged for Data abroad when my Mobile data was switched off the whole time?

Hi Lee,

Yes when I arrived in the USA I text to say I would like to unlock the £4 a day data roaming package where I would only be charged each day if any data was used. 

The reason I unlocked it was upon arrival I did think I may have to use my data to use the sat nav on my phone however we realised my partner had the max plan and so had inclusive data so I therefore never needed to switch my Mobile data on.

The only time I use the internet was when connected to free wifi (as my mobile data was switched off).  

The only charge I have is for 1 of the days I was away so we are not talking high charges - I suppose it is more prinicipal and for my understanding as I was always under the assumption that if your Mobile data was switched off then no data charges could occur.  Kind of like if your phone is plugged into the wall being charged - if the plug is not switched on then no power comes through.

Thanks

Thanks

by
EE Employee

Hi @Tinajh25

Was the charge for the day you arrived?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Tinajh25 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

No it was on the 2nd to last day of my 2 week holiday so very random.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back to us @Tinajh25

I would like to get this looked into for you.

I have sent you a private message to get some details.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Leanne 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.