by TibbyV Investigator
Investigator

calling Spain from UK under new roaming rules

Can someone please explain to me why calling an EU landline from my mobile is an additional charge, yet I would be able to call home from an EU country for free / included in contract?

I didn't understand this and have racked up an £18 charge for a 20 minute conversation with my Mom last night - she lives in Spain.

This seems really unfair.

9 REPLIES 9
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: calling Spain from UK under new roaming rules

Hi, 

@TibbyV

If you calling from UK to Spain you be get charged for that. 

If you are in Spain the it free to call on Spain numbers and back to UK. 

You can get free add on texting CALL ABROAD to 150,

Then it will cost you 

Landline 5p a minute
Mobile 15p a minute
Texts 18p

Many Thanks 

by TibbyV Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I gathered it wasn't included when I saw the charge this morning, what I don't get is why this should be the case.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi, 

@TibbyV

Your allowance is free only when you are outside UK and in Europe to call back UK and EU numbers. 

Many Thanks. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @TibbyV and welcome to the community.

The EU regulations only changed for calls/texts and data whilst roaming inside the EU.

This does not change any charges from your home country to any EU country.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Calling Spain from UK Is Not Roaming!

Calling Spain from UK Is Not Roaming! You are not abroad!

They are International calls & are chargeable.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by TibbyV Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Lee. I can't help but wonder how many people might get confused like I did.

by
EE Employee

Hi @TibbyV

I understand it can be a little confusing.

We do supply bundles and add ons for calling overseas. 

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The EU rules are supposed to bring us ever closer to the elimination of country borders, this time by making roaming calls the same as home calls. However, this "roam like home" tagline doesn't convey the truth, as you have discovered.

It doesn't apply for calls from the UK to other countries, but it's not "like home" either - at home (UK) we get hefty charges for calling other EU countries. Magically, when we travel to another EU country, we can call all other EU countries with our inclusive minutes! Certainly not "like home".

Your assumption really *is* the way things *should* have been. It should not make any difference whether you are in the UK calling Spain, or in Spain calling the UK. All calls are nowadays routed via IP networks between providers anyway, and the wholesale cost to networks is minimal.

If a VoIP provider can offer me a rate of 1p/minute to call from the UK to Spain, then surely any mobile network can offer me the same rate or better - if they wanted to.

But they don't. Networks offer free roaming only because the law now says they have to, not because they are so kindly disposed. The law says only roaming has to be free (not calling abroad from one's home country), therefore networks only offer roaming free and not calls abroad from the UK.

by slliw Contributor
Contributor

Wow you really nailed that argument, have a star my friend 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.