by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

account device settings to use phone abroad in 4G Max plan included countries

My question is simple and I have asked it before but never received a satisfactory answer. In My Account on the EE website, under Usage Controls there are 4 check boxes,

Use data

Buy data

Roaming abroad 

Call abroad and premium rate

I have no problem with the first 3 to enable me to use the phone when away from the UK and in the EU or one of the other plan included countries. It is the "Call abroad and premium rate" one that confuses me. What is the difference between "Roaming" and "Call abroad"? I would like to be able to turn off "Call abroad and premium rate" as a safety measure but am told I need it to be able to make calls when out of the UK. If that is the case what does the "Roaming" box actually do?  Why should I need BOTH enabled to be able to use my phone in the plan included countries?  I do not want to dial premium numbers and do not want to call to or from countries not in the plan. Can anyone provide a simple explanation for me as the EE chat line certainly cannot! Thanks.   

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: account device settings to use phone abroad in 4G Max plan included countrie

Essentially, in order for your handset to work fully abroad, you need both of those options enabled; roaming and calling abroad:

1) roaming - enables incoming calls, texts and allows mobile data to work whilst you are abroad.

2) calling abroad - enables outgoing calls and texts either whilst you are in the UK to make international calls AND also this is needed whilst you are roaming abroad in order to be able to make any outgoing calls or send texts anywhere including back to the UK.

The EU doesn't come into it.  Both need to be ebabled if you travel abroad anywhere either within or outside the EU.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: account device settings to use phone abroad in 4G Max plan included countrie

@ChrisJohn   Call abroad and  premium rate numbers if so you can call out of the UK and or premium rate numbers otherwise the call wouldn’t be connected.  Roaming is so you can use your device outside of the UK but to be able to call back to the UK you need to call abroad and premium rate to call back to the UK.     Unfortunately to use your plan in the included countries it’s also has to be enabled for countries where your plan is not included the system cannot be separated.  Don’t assume everyone just stays in the EU and the setup of the system is not going to be tailored just to suit you. 

Or turn off what you want and don’t use the device.  Unfortunately that’s how it is and it’s not a perfect world. 

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Essentially, in order for your handset to work fully abroad, you need both of those options enabled; roaming and calling abroad:

1) roaming - enables incoming calls, texts and allows mobile data to work whilst you are abroad.

2) calling abroad - enables outgoing calls and texts either whilst you are in the UK to make international calls AND also this is needed whilst you are roaming abroad in order to be able to make any outgoing calls or send texts anywhere including back to the UK.

The EU doesn't come into it.  Both need to be ebabled if you travel abroad anywhere either within or outside the EU.

by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks.  That is the clearest and most understandable explanation I have seen anywhere. It would help if the staff on the EE chat line had that understanding and if EE themselves included it on their website.

It is a pity that to enable me to use my phone in the EU and other included countries I have to leave it in a position where, if stolen or compromised by a scam, it could be used to call premium rate numbers.  Such is life!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ChrisJohn  Put a lock on your device and put a sim pin on the sim so if the sim is removed from the device the sim is locked and can not be used.     No one will be able to run up and calls if your device is lost/stolen. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.