by worldwidetravel
Explorer

Wifi calling, roaming, diverts, limits on time abroad signal box (femtocell) VPN

Hello All

I have an iPhone 6 on EE sim only contract.

I have a lot of problems at the moment and am concerned about having my phone cut off!

Does anyone know:

How to get WiFi calling from outside the UK (I have UK VPN WiFi but can't get it to work)?  Do I have to have UK vpn wifi in a basement somewhere where their is no foreign mobile networks?  I have tried turning off location services for wifi calling but it doesn't work.  Very frustrating.

If I am abroad is there a way to setup a call divert as EE won't let me?  I want to send the calls to my 0207 number and then pay for the divert from 0207 to my foreign mobile in the event EE cut my phone off from roaming. Do I really have to send my sim back to UK?!

How long will I get away with using my EE phone in Europe before it gets cut off/I start getting a big bill?  Will it get cut off? Or will I start getting billed?

If I look like I am traveling (France, Portugal, Gibraltar or Morocco) will this help my case?

Has anyone ever got and EE signal box (femtocell) to work outside the UK (as mine is plugged into UK VPN LAN and refuses to work due to lack of geo location data grrrr!).  It just sits there flashing green.

If you spend a lot of time abroad does it help to send your sim back to UK for a day or so?

I have complaints from friends and family when I am roaming my phone does not "ring", does anyone know why? (they hang up and dial again because they think the call has not connected but i just have not got to it in time, how stupid is that!?)

Please don't attack me and accuse me of bending terms and conditions I am just looking for help that is all.

Thanks in advance all

Tim the traveler

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Wifi calling, roaming, diverts, limits on time abroad signal box (femtocell)

EE WiFi  Calling is only available in UK.

To benefit from EU roaming you need to be in UK for at least 60 days in any 120 day period. Otherwise you will be charged extra & may be cut off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by worldwidetravel
Explorer

Re: Wifi calling, roaming, diverts, limits on time abroad signal box (femtocell)

Hello XRay

Thanks for your advice on the 60 days.  Do you know what circumstances people have been cut off?

"EE WiFi  Calling is only available in UK."

I have read that in the T&C

I already know that!

That wasn't my question.

My question was (basically) how do I get away with doing it outside the UK?  This might solve my problem setting up my call divert....

I have interest in practicalities not T&C's.  I've already read them.....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I'm not here to help you circumvent the T&Cs. You'll have to work that out yourself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@worldwidetravel wrote:

My question was (basically) how do I get away with doing it outside the UK?  This might solve my problem setting up my call divert....

You can't.  There is no way round getting WiFi calling to work when outside the UK.  EE have various checks in place to prevent this.

by worldwidetravel
Explorer

I still pay my TV licence in the UK.

The BBC have "various checks" in place to stop me watching Andrew Marr on a Sunday Morning on BBC iplayer when I am abroad.

These "various checks" don't stop me, and quite frankly I don't see why as a TV license payer I should be stopped. 

A similar thing applies to my EE, which is paid on time by direct debit each month.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.