by twinkletoes Contributor
Contributor

Why won't my phone work in the USA?

I have a new EE PAYG SIM card. When I got it, I was told that it was set up for roaming and would work in the US, but it doesn't - I can't pick up any network.  

When I called 150 for help, the guy said the SIM card won't work in the US, and there was nothing he could do.  Is that correct?  

Nothing I've read here and on the Roaming help pages says anything about needing a special SIM card for the US, just that it needs to have roaming enabled.

When I had my previous Orange SIM card (that hibernated and expired without my knowledge) in the same phone, I could pick up a US network, so I know its not the phone.

Anyone know how to fix this?

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why won't my phone work in the USA?

Your PAYG SIM should work in US but you can't use your UK allowances for roaming in US. Do you have have PAYG credit or a roaming add-on to cover it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Yes, I have plenty of credit, and I know the roaming charges to use my phone in the US. 

The support tech specifically said the SIM card won't work here in the US. Is that true?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I've already said no. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

OK, so if it should work, I guess I need to call 150 again and get someone who knows how to fix it.

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, as long as you have sufficient credit there should be nothing stopping you from using your phone in USA. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

One thought : Did you use it in UK before you left? As it's a new SIM it might have needed to have been activated on EE network. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @twinkletoes

Thank you for becoming one of the newest members of the EE community 🙂

I can see @XRaySpeX has given you some brilliant help so far.

Have you tried a manual network search by any chance?

Handset dependent, please try the following.

• iPhone – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF
  • Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
  • Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

If this doesn't resolve things, then please call customer services if you haven't done so already.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX - yes, I used the phone for calls and texts in the UK.

Hi @Richard_C - I've tried manual network search, switching phone off and on and everything else I could find in similar posts.  I'll try customer services again and hope I get someone who knows how to fix it this time. Luckily I have Skype so can call them for free from US - last time I had to hold for 20 minutes!

Thanks!

by

Hi @twinkletoes

I hope your chat with customer services goes well and most importantly that you get things sorted out.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Contributor

@Richard_C  Sadly not... I spent 45 minutes with 2 different technical support guys (L1 and L2) and they were not able to help. It was escalated to the Network L2 team, and the best they could offer was that it's due to all the cellphone networks in Florida being out because of Hurricane Irma - which is absolutely NOT true!!  I'm in central Florida right now, and all the carrier networks are working perfectly.

I'm starting to think it may be a problem with my phone, namely that it would roam in the US with an Orange SIM card but it hasn't been transitioned to the EE Sim card properly. Does that sound at all feasible?  It's the only remaining piece of the puzzle...

by

Good morning @twinkletoes

It's nice to hear from you, but not nice to hear that you don't have service.

The information given by technical level 2 and the network level 2 team will be correct.

This sounds like a long shot, but have you tried to put the phone on either 2G or 3G?

The EE pay as you go SIM should be all set up to go, I can't see it being a problem with the SIM, however at this stage let's not rule it out.

Richard

🙂

Contributor

Hi @Richard_C   The phone I'm trying to use this EE SIM card in is an old Orange handset (Motorola C139). I can see the codes for the US T-Mobile GSM networks in 'My Network List' and the correct band setting (900/1800 MHz) so I'm at a loss to know why it can't find the network. 

One thing I noticed is that there is no 'EE SIM Menu' option, which I get with my old (now defunct) Orange SIM card, which makes me think it is a problem with the EE SIM card.

I'm ready to give up on this and just get a new SIM card when I get back to the UK.  It probably won't be from EE 😞 

Thanks for your help.

by
EE Employee

Hi @twinkletoes

Was the device unlocked before you placed the SIM card into the device?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Hi @Lee_H   I have no idea, the guy at the EE store installed the SIM card and it worked fine in the UK.  I did wonder about phone locking too, so I tried it with a Tracfone SIM (the only other one I could find that would fit) and it doesn't give an error message, so I'm assuming the phone is unlocked. I can't get the phone to give me an "Unlock Network" prompt using any of the codes I found online.  

I hate to give up, but I've spent so much time researching this, and on the phone with EE tech support, that I'm over it.

Thanks!

by

Hi @twinkletoes

Thank you for coming to see us again 🙂

I'm really sorry to see that we haven't managed to find a fix for this.

I do hope that when you look to change your SIM in the UK that it is an EE one.

I'm not a technical wizz kid, but I believe it could be the SIM.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the USA and when your home, please let us know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.