by kevcar86 Investigator
Investigator

Why isn't the Travel Data Pass available to new 4GEE Max plans?

I've just started a new job that will require regular travel to South Africa. I was hoping that it would be included with the new 4GEE Max plan, but unfortunately it isn't, so I looked at what data roaming add-on's are available.

I found the Travel Data Pass, but I was surprised to see that it isn't available to 4GEE Max plans, especially as this is the best plan that EE offers.

Please can someone explain why it isn't available to new 4GEE Max plan customers and whether it is something that will be introduced in future?

Thanks

Kevin

39 REPLIES 39
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Why isn't the Travel Data Pass available to new 4GEE Max plans?

Hi @kevcar86

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

Have you seen our Roaming costs  for South Africa?

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@kevcar86 This is a question we've been trying to get an answer for since the original max plans were around, when you couldn't add the pass to them. EE said things like it was their complicated billing system and they are looking into it, only to suddenly launch a new max plan and allow the pass to be added to the old ones but again not the new ones.

I imagine there's some bean counter in EE making up these crazy plans and add ons that just confuse customers and their own customer service staff.

I imagine EE will launch new plans soon and you'll then be able to add it the older plans.

by kevcar86 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Richard_C,

I have looked at the roaming costs and I have seen that the only option for data is to buy an add-on.

The Travel Data Pass seems like the only sensible option for using data abroad, as the other two have such low data allowance, but it's also the only add-on not available to 4GEE Max plans.

I don't understand why EE appears to be punishing those who opt for the best contract they offer?

I hope that EE is going to be allowing the pass to be added onto new max plans soon.

Thanks

Kevin

by kevcar86 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @chistery

Thanks for your response.

It certainly seems that way! I had hoped that a network such as EE would cater for all types of customers by allowing different add-ons to suit their needs. Especially when it's the best and most expensive plans that are being restricted here! I was really surprised to see there wasn't any viable option for data usage outside the plans included countries.

I hope EE will do more to help, but if nothing is done I'll definitely be considering other networks when my contract runs out.

by

Hi @kevcar86

Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers who upgraded or joined after 10 May 2017 and took out a new 4GEE Max Plan, mobile broadband/Mobile Wi-Fi plans or pay as you go packs.

I appreciate your frustration, and have passed this feedback over to the relevant department,

Please get in touch with our customer service team and they'll see if it's possible to move you to a price plan that better suits your needs.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by kevcar86 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your help @Richard_C

I'm hoping that it is something that EE will look to allow in the near future.

In the meantime, I would recommend updating the wording in the 'Who can get it' section for the Travel Data Pass to explain why it isn't available to Max plan customers who upgraded or joined after 10 May 2017 and/or offer an alternative add-on that provides similar value. If there are plans to add this at a later date, adding that to the wording would also be beneficial, with a rough time scale ideally.

I'm not keen on moving plans just to get the Travel Data Pass as I will likely end up on a plan that doesn't cater as well to my other needs. If it continues to be a problem though, I will contact the customer service team.

by

Hi @kevcar86

I'll pass your thanks on the @Richard_C 🙂

Thank you for your suggestion, I agree that this would certainly improve the page and help avoid other customers being in the same position.

I will absolutely feed this back.

Spot prize.jpg

Because I loved the help you gave today, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.

I’m going to send you a private message – please reply to that message with your address details so that I can pop a restaurant voucher in the post.

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

Many thanks

Chris 🙂

by brandscill Investigator
Investigator

Really frustrating to learn this. We're paying for the most expensive EE plans but get the least options for add ons?

by

Hi @branscill

Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers who upgraded or joined after 10 May 2017 and took out a new 4GEE Max Plan, mobile broadband/Mobile Wi-Fi plans or pay as you go packs.

I appreciate your frustration, and have passed this feedback over to the relevant department,

Please get in touch with our customer service team and they'll see if it's possible to move you to a price plan that better suits your needs.

Thank you

Richard

Investigator

Hi Richard,

Why are you putting people on your premium plans at a disadvantage? I don't understand why people on cheaper plans get a better deal. Yes we get free roaming in 5 additional countries, but not all 11 covered by the Travel Data Pass.

Really dissapointing

by

Hi @branscilI

Thank you for getting back to me.

As previously posted, I appreciate your frustration, and have passed this feedback over to the relevant department,

Please get in touch with our customer service team and they'll see if it's possible to move you to a price plan that better suits your needs.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Pagemakers Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This is such a crazy situation. 

CS said if I added a TDP to my account I won’t be charged if I roam in one of the MAX countries. I joined after 10th May 2017. 

I added the TDP and went to the USA.  I was charged £4 a day for each day I was in the states.  None of it showed on my allowances until AFTER the bill was produced, then I was charged £16 plus VAT for the 4 days. 

EE have since refunded that and I’ve removed the TDP.

Im going to the UAE soon.  I suspect if I add it back on when I’m there I can use the £5 a day rate and take it back off when I return.

This is the most lunatic way to treat your customers on your best tariffs. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Pagemakers  The UEA is not covered by the max plans and your no better off being on a max plan than a customer who not your n a max plan going to the UEA.  

Established Contributor

Not quite correct.

UAE is £5 for 500MB on a TBP. Those of us who joined after the cut off date technically can’t have a TBP and need a Zone B add on at £5 for 20MB which a is 25 times smaller allowance for the same cost. 

That’s a massive difference. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Pagemakers I am surprised you were able to add a TDP to your max plan if it is a new one that includes the USA. If you try and add it you should get a text back saying

Sorry, Travel Data Pass is not available on your price plan. You can find details of all our standard roaming add-ons and prices at ee.co.uk/roaming

Does your plan say you get the additional 10 countries as well as the EU? E.g. 

You get our very best with your 4GEE Max SIM Plan: unlimited calls, text and 30GB of our fastest speed data to use in the UK, EU and ten other countries

It's a bit of a farce that you can't add it, and no valid reason given either.

Established Contributor

Yes I get all the counties and the TDP happily adds and removes from my account. 

My plan says

You get our very best with your 4GEE Max SIM Plan: unlimited calls, text and 25GB of our fastest speed data to use in the UK, EU and ten other countries. You also get live sporting action on your phone with the BT Sport app.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Well that's odd innit! Robot surprised

Why did you add the TDP when you went to the USA then?

Established Contributor

I work abroad a lot. 

I added it AFTER calling CS who said “you won’t be charged in an MAX included country - you will only be charged in an excluded country”.

So it made sense to add it and leave it enabled. 

Sadly it was totally wrong gen and I was charged (although it’s been revered + a bit more as an apology).

I’m off to India soon so I’ll add it when I go and remove it when I come back.

Seriously this is proper stupid!

Investigator

Agreed. In all honesty I regret moving to EE. Their customer service isn’t all that, signal is so so in a lot of places and I haven’t expierenced the amazing 4G they have Kevin Bacon telling us about day in and day out.

On the most expensive plan so naturally I’m barred from the most reasonable travel data options.

It seems for roaming Vodafone are the ones to beat. £5 a day to bring your allowance pretty much anywhere outside the EU

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.