by GeoffCrawf Investigator
Investigator

Why is my EU roaming data allowance lower than UK allowance

I’m in Spain for a few weeks and I’ve had an alert to say that I’m at 80% of my monthly data allowance at 2.6gb.

but my monthly contract allowance is 5gb so why am I being capped lower?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Why is my EU roaming data allowance lower than UK allowance

So I spoke with EE today and here is the reason / solution...

no no matter what data allowance you have in your UK bundle EE will send you a text at the equivalent of 50euros usage to say that you are at 80% of your allowance and then at 98% of your allowance.

The confusing thing is that 50euros in not necessarily 80% of your allowance.

In my case I have an allowance of 5gb but the 80% text came through at 2.6gb.

They have switched off the text / cap for me so that I can continue to use my remaining allowance for free.

However, once it’s used there will be no warning and I will then be charged 1.6p per mb over my 5gb allowance. 

1.6p per mb is not bad I suppose.

Althougb this issue is now understood though not solved, I’m really surprised that such a big IT / communications company cannot greate a little software bot that correctly determines you 80 and 98% allowance figures. Or maybe they just don’t want to do that as it would reduce their income overall by being helpful to customers.

Perception of customer care is everything. The guy I dealt with was great, the companies in ability or unwillingness to be flexible is not.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The EU roaming data allowance should be your normal UK monthly data allowance or 15 GB / month, whichever is lower.

How long have you been out of the UK in the last 4 months?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi Xray,

I’ve been out of the uk for three weeks.

I have a business account with 5gb data allowance in the UK, unlimited calls and texts etc.

I got the first 80% usage alert at 2.6gb on 15th Sept but my contract runs from the 19th so the clock started ticking again with a full allowance then.

Now it’s the 5th of the month and I have the 80% alert again but have only used 2.6gb of my Uk allowance again.

I don’t want to be charged per additional mb so have turned off data roaming.

i could argue that EEs system is running incorrectly but how do I prove that?

thanks for your help.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @GeoffCrawf

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I recommend speaking directly to our business customer service team to confirm exactly what is included in your plan and check what is happening with the alerts.

Please let us know what they say, I'd be interested to know what happens.

Chris

Investigator
Solution

So I spoke with EE today and here is the reason / solution...

no no matter what data allowance you have in your UK bundle EE will send you a text at the equivalent of 50euros usage to say that you are at 80% of your allowance and then at 98% of your allowance.

The confusing thing is that 50euros in not necessarily 80% of your allowance.

In my case I have an allowance of 5gb but the 80% text came through at 2.6gb.

They have switched off the text / cap for me so that I can continue to use my remaining allowance for free.

However, once it’s used there will be no warning and I will then be charged 1.6p per mb over my 5gb allowance. 

1.6p per mb is not bad I suppose.

Althougb this issue is now understood though not solved, I’m really surprised that such a big IT / communications company cannot greate a little software bot that correctly determines you 80 and 98% allowance figures. Or maybe they just don’t want to do that as it would reduce their income overall by being helpful to customers.

Perception of customer care is everything. The guy I dealt with was great, the companies in ability or unwillingness to be flexible is not.

by
EE Employee

Hi @GeoffCrawf

Thank you for the reply and feedback.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That must apply to a business plan, not a consumer 1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.