by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Why does Asda who use the EE network allow unlimited time EU roaming

Does EE still impose 60 day EU roaming limit. They have quoted the customer must have a ‘stable’ link to the UK. Isn’t an address , passport, tax reference, doctor good enough. Also why is a call UK to the EU not classed as roaming. EE is a European mobile network isn’t it. Well for now anyway😉

14 REPLIES 14
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Why does Asda who use the EE network allow unlimited time EU roaming

Yes EE still set limits.  There will be something is ASDA's terms and conditions somewhere that set a limit to how long you are allowed to roam for as well.

Part of this entire EU roaming agreement was that conditions had to be put in place to stop people being able to buy possibly cheaper mobile packages from other EU countries to use on a permanent basis.  This is not what the system was put in place for.

Full details can be found here.

International dialing from the UK has never been the same thing as roaming, again this applies to all networks.  You are not roaming when you are making calls or sending texts to other countries from the UK.

You can get the free calling abroad add-on though which substantially reduces call and text charges from the UK to abroad by texting the phrase CALL ABROAD to 150 for free.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AW1 wrote:

Does EE still impose 60 day EU roaming limit. They have quoted the customer must have a ‘stable’ link to the UK. Isn’t an address , passport, tax reference, doctor good enough. Also why is a call UK to the EU not classed as roaming. EE is a European mobile network isn’t it. Well for now anyway😉

@AW1

Asda pay to use EE network, that means they can charge their customers whatever they want as long as they pay EE for the service. Like petrol, clothes, the mobile phone area isn't ASDA core business, so ASDA can subsidise this area from the more profitable food area. This is why they are cheaper and can in some areas offer more than EE.  

EE only business is mobile, broadband and TV. 

To answer your other questions:

1. EE offer roaming packages which makes economic sense to their business model
  2. The stable link is there to ensure that EE roaming entitlement isn't abused. EE core service us designed for the UK.  As per the T&C it's not designed for prolonged foreign travel.  
  3. As the UK is EE base, then using your device in the UK isn't roaming. It's that simple. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi 
I had hoped that I wouldn't just get the usual parrot fashioned reply. You are really missing the point that for the time being EE is a European operator and it's irrelevant where they are based. 
Shame you gave the 'simple 'reply and didn't look at the bigger picture! 
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AW1  When in the UK you are not roaming you are directly connected to the EE network so that is not classed as roaming,  roaming only happens when you use a network that is not in the UK and that is called a roaming network.  The 2 previous comments broke it down so you understood that.

If you are not happy because it’s the correct information that you basically ask for what else can be said so you understand what roaming is and how it only is a applicable  when you are connected to a network that is only giving you a signal when abroad..   roaming can not happen in the UK fit yourself unless you are visiting the UK because you are the visitor to the UK so you are then roaming. 

EE is a UK operator and only has a network in the UK.  The UK itself at present is in the EU that doesn’t make EE a EU operator or they would have their own network in the EU and they don’t.  

by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Well done Chris_B
For just repeating the mobile companies interpretation.
When you roam there should be no boundaries if you use the word correctly. The mobile operators begrudgingly have been forced into giving us what they have, and called it ‘roaming’.
How rediculous is your last statement. Of course EE is an EU network. In fact they are owned by BT who refer to themselves as a global company.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AW1 wrote:
When you roam there should be no boundaries if you use the word correctly

But there are boundaries if you use the word correctly. Those boundaries are the boundaries of your own country when you use roaming in its dictionary meaning . I'm afraid you can't just use your own dictionary to suit yourself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Terribly sorry I'll just roam in my backyard. 
Do you work in the mobile network business by any chance!
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, in the stationary network business Smiley Wink!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AW1  BT and EE are separate companies, BT own EE that is all. BT even use the EE network to give their mobile device customers a signal.    It’s called EE and the network I use is EE not BT.   What signal shows on your device is it EE or BT ? 

Roaming can only happen on a none UK network as that is roaming.  Ie your not in the UK and your using a different carrier to give you a signal., and there is no boundaries please state where these boundaries are.   Calling out of the UK is called a international call but you can call UK mobile devices that are abroad at no additional cost to yourself and you’ll only be changed for calling a none UK number, Now if you was abroad you’ll be roaming and you’ll be able to call that none UK number as that is allowed as your roaming.  

You can not have it the way you want just because your going to get charged if you call a none UK number,  unfortunately as EE is a company that is the business to make money.   

by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

BT or EE and your point is!

Regarding roaming. It's called roaming within the EU. Bit of a clue there!

I'm afraid you'll not get much sympathy when you talk about having to make a profit. It's about operating an ethical business. Let's face it the mobile companies have been dragged kicking and screaming into giving us partial European service NOT roaming.
by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for repeating that.........again
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Asda Mobile T&Cs

When roaming in our European region you will be able to use your bundle allowances at no extra cost. This "roam like at home" facility is available to anybody who is normally resident in the UK or who has stable links entailing a frequent and substantial presence in the UK. If, over a 4 month period, your use of the service suggests to us that you may not meet this requirement we may ask you to provide reasonable evidence of your normal place of residence, of your frequent and substantial presence, in the UK. Examples of such evidence might include an address and utility bill, evidence of UK employment or proof of registration with a UK public authority. If you do not provide such evidence within a two week period after our request then we may, without further notice, start to apply a surcharge (specified by the European Commission) for your services.

So not unlimited then.

by AW1 Investigator
Investigator

Have you just posted this without reading it:

Its a perfectly reasonable set of criteria. I’ve used Asda since last year with no problem. 

Originally I was with EE after being lied to instore where I was promised true roaming. EE admitted liability and cancelled 12 month contract.

The reason for my post was to ask if EE were still imposing the limit and if anyone had actual experience of any restrictions being made.

What I didn’t expect was to be quoted from the mobile operators roaming handbook!

Why is it you guys just sit back and accept the crumbs from the big plc’s table.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@AW1 wrote:

Why is it you guys just sit back and accept the crumbs from the big plc’s table.

Because when you sign a contract you agree to their T&Cs

You just can't make your own rules up.

Also where does EE operate if They are an EU company?

I don't see any other EE company in the EU other than the UK

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.