by Hevsy

Why charged for travel data when data roaming is turned off?

My last bill had 3 charges for the travel data package- I am travelling outside the EU - but at no point have I turned on my data roaming. Not very happy!

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why charged for travel data when data roaming is turned off?

@Hevsy   Isn’t it activated based on your location ? and seeing as your not in the EU it becomes activated.  I’m not saying it’s right that you should be charged for not using it but it’s an automatic allowance that activates when your not in the EU/UK. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The travel data pass doesn't charge automatically when you are in an applicable country, it has to see data then EE charge.

Did you reboot your phone at all when you were away? Seems some phones have a problem with checking data is off when rebooted, and a small amount of data passes before the system sees data is off and disables it.

It's a terrible system. There should be a very small data buffer to cater for this sort of thing before being charged. Some phones seem to be more prone to it than others.

EE should really add a data toggle in MyEE so you can disabled it easily and know it's turned off, especiually with the recent price rise.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Hevsy

I would suggest speaking to our customer service team and we will get this looked into for you.

The team will certainly see what they can do.

Thanks, Leanne.

by CharlieH1
Explorer

Just talked to the Customer Service Team about the same problem that happen to me and they did not care... just told be 'I must off turn it on'.

Made me feel like a lier and did not care about me. No wonder they are called customer service team and not surport team as they are useless at surporting their customers.

by

Hi @CharlieH1

I'm sorry you that that's the way you feel after your conversation with us, I'm sure that isn't the way that it was intended.

What kind of phone do you use? Data roaming must be turned on within the settings for your phone to connect to a data connection abroad.

Is it possible that you accidentally left it switched on?

Chris

Highlighted
by CharlieH1
Explorer

Unfortunately that how I felt... I 100% positive I had data turned off as I had WiFi where I was. I had to reset/turn my phone off a few times as it crashes alot, it's a iPhone 6s Plus. 

by

OK, thanks @CharlieH1

I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you.

Please have a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Hevsy wrote:

My last bill had 3 charges for the travel data package- I am travelling outside the EU - but at no point have I turned on my data roaming. Not very happy!

Wow, where did you go? And how much did you get charged? It's something for us all to watch out for. I'd say you shouldn't be billed. But obviously some other company did bill EE.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.