by CJLees01 Investigator
Investigator

Why can't t-mobile get data abroad?

My wife and I have identical android phones, with just one difference -- she has an EE SIM and I have a T-Mobile SIM.

One a holiday to France, her phone easily connected to a range of different networks and received data no problem. Meanwhile, my phone rarely connected to any networks at all, and on the infrequent occasions that it did, it frequently was unable to receive data.

I had exactly the same experience a few months ago in the US.

What is concerning is that I used to be able to connect overseas without issue - this issue only appears to have happened since I swapped a "normal-sized" SIM to a nano SIM.

Is there a reason why I can't connect?

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Why can't t-mobile get data abroad?

Hi @CJLees01

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Your phone should automatically connect (as your wife's does).

Could you check the network mode please?:-

Tap Settings >>> tap Connections >>> tap Mobile network >>> tap Mobile Network mode >>> enable 2G/3G auto.

This should ensure your phone automatically connects.

Chris 🙂

by CJLees01 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've confirmed Data Roaming is checked on, and the network mode is 2G/3G/4G (auto connect).

Could there be something wrong with the SIM perhaps? Everything used to work before I switched to this nano SIM...

by
EE Employee

Hi @CJLees01 and welcome to the community.

Are you able to call and text at all?

Many thanks,

Lee

by CJLees01 Investigator
Investigator

When I'm in the UK, yes everything works.When I was in France, it *sometimes* connected to networks (but not often), and often it had full bars but marked as "emergency call only". What I noticed was that my wife's phone would typically connect to EE in France but my phone never would, even when I tried to force it to prefer EE to any other network.
by

Thanks for confirming @CJLees01

I would suggest give our technical support team a call.

They will be able to look into this for you and see what could be causing this.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

by CJLees01 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks.

Called 150, but the response was that the mast overseas may be the problem and I needed to call from abroad when I experienced the issue.

So essentially a "nothing" answer given that I found the same problem in both US and France as I was travelling around (ie it can't be a single faulty mast, but a very wide area of masts covering Paris, New York etc) -- that's extremely unlikely!

So the t-mobile advise is to wait until I go abroad and get the same problem again! 
by

I see @CJLees01

Did they check all Roaming features were activated for you?

Have you tried a new SIM card at all?

Thanks, Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.