by Alissen Investigator
Investigator

Why can’t calls be made to Lithuanian numbers?

I always remember having problems with calling Lithuanian numbers in Lithuania, but I think at some point it was fixed. Now that I’ve gone to Lithuania again, surprise surprise, can’t make calls to Lithuanian numbers. An engineer called and tried saying that the numbers I dialled were premium - really? Every single number was premium? Since 2012? Can someone explain to me how in this day and age a decision to not allow calling certain numbers a good business decision - I asked the engineer if me switching to a different network was the only solution, and he said, yep, basically switch, because you won’t be getting this option with us. Great! 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why can’t calls be made to Lithuanian numbers?

@Alissen You should be able to call Lithuanian numbers as Lithuanian is in the EU and you can call Lithuanian numbers while there at no charge.  Only premium rate numbers are not covered and are chargeable. 

by Alissen Investigator
Investigator

Well, unfortunately I cannot. They can call me, we can bith text but I cannot call them. I was on EE chat, called 150 and finally today an engineer called me to say that I will never be able to call Lithuanian numbers - business decision. Go figure...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Alissen :), 

I've taken a closer look into this for you and calls to Lithuania from the UK or whilst in the country to Lithuanian numbers are currently barred.

We don't yet have any time scales on when this will be lifted. 

It is possible to make calls while roaming, however, if you are roaming on a branded network calls will still be barred.

Thanks, Katie.  

by Alissen Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for looking into this @Katie_B. I get it, things happen. For whatever reason EE decided to do this. I’m just thinking what if people are on a business trip? What if I’m lost and need to call someone here? Luckily I can borrow a phone at this time but what if I was alone. This is so strange. 

And also thanks for being hinest about this - it’s frustrating to be told on and in again to check roaming, to check how to dial correctly, to check this and that, when really, calls are just not possible to Lithuanian numbers.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Sorry @Katie_B, but I don't know how EE can restrict calls to Lithuanian numbers while a customer roams within Lithuania as Lithuania is a EU member, where EU legislation applies.

Is there any reason why calls from both the UK and within Lithuania to Lithuanian numbers are restricted?

by

Hi everyone,

From time to time we need to temporarily suspend connectivity with networks abroad, normally for reasons beyond our control.  We do work hard with the country in question to resolve this as quickly as we can, but at the moment, there is no timescale as to when the bar in Lithuania will be lifted.

Jon

by Alissen Investigator
Investigator

Well, I’ve been with EE for years, and have never been able to call, so i wish it was temporary but I’ve read of other people’s stories who also had problems for at least 5 years. So strange

by ak-47
Visitor

Just came back from Lithuania. Have been to Lithuania three times in the last 1.5 years. Every time there is no way to call numbers starting with 699 or 651. EE what are you doing to fix this. I'm considering switching to Vodafone as your international roaming sucks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ak-47  It has been mentioned before on this forum that calls whilst in Lithuania don’t go to Lithuania numbers but is also been said that it’s beyond EE control to fix this which in itself is implying that it’s the network there that is the cause of the problem

by

Hi @ak-47

You can roam in Lithuania and make calls back to the UK and other destinations but calling some Lithuanian number ranges are barred when roaming in any country.

From time to time we may have technical issues with our Roaming partners or we need to temporarily suspend connectivity with networks abroad normally for reasons beyond our control.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.