by Dunroamin Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Why can't I use my PAYG after being in Spain for several months

I have been in Spain for several months and find that I cannot text or telephone on my PAYG mobile phone.   How can I get the service reinstated ?

37 REPLIES 37
Valued Contributor

Re: What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it?

Hi,

I have been in spain for several months and now I can't text or use my mobile phone to ring anyone.   You said after 279 days that the credit is removed and the number taken away.   I didn't know anything about this rule and do all my crediting on line and it states I have £1.03 credit still on the account.  

Have I lost my phone number as I have this number registered on many accounts, insurance, etc.?  Can I get it back ?   By the way I am on T-Mobile !

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why can't I use my PAYG after being in Spain for several months

@Dunroamin: EE mobile plans are intended for consumers who have a stable link with the UK, which means you spend no more than 60 days outside the UK in any 120 day period. After that you will be cut off or charged extra.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

I don't have an EE contract plan, I am on T-Mobile PAYG!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The same applies to T-Mobile & Orange plans.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dunroamin

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost connection. I recommend contacting our customer service team from an alternative phone.

They will be able to check your account and find out why it has stopped working and help you further.

You can find our contact details, including an international number, on our get in touch help page.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it?

Hi @Dunroamin

I've replied to your other post. Please take a look and get back to me.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you've been using your phone regularly from Spain you won't have run in to hibernation. Sounds more like you've been hit by the roaming stable links rule,

Valued Contributor

What is the roaming stable links rule ?  I was using my phone regularly until it stopped working a few months ago so I am not sure whether my account has been de-activated but I still have £1.03 credit on my account online.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I explained it in https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Why-can-t-I-use-my-PAYG-after-being-in-Spain-for-several-month... .

Valued Contributor

I did read that but took it to mean that if you didn't use your phone for 60 days because you are out of the country. it went into "hibernation" and you lost your number.

Valued Contributor

I am back in the UK in just over 3 weeks so will go into a mobile shop to try to sort it out.  All I want is a cheap way to text the UK when I visit my daughter in Spain for 3 or 4 months at a time and I don't want a contract, just a PAYG or equivalent.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, hibernation & stable links are 2 diff things:

• Hibernation occurs when you don't use your phone at all for a chargeable action.
  • Stable links governs how long you may remain outside UK using your phone.

Valued Contributor

Why don't you have a chat service like many of the other mobile phone companies?   Whilst I am in Spain it is very difficult to deal with these problems without a chat service!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The same stable links condition will apply to contracts.

Valued Contributor

How does a "chargeable action" apply to a PAYG phone?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Connection actions’ are:

–Making a chargeable outbound call

–Sending a chargeable text message

–Topping up your account

–Making a payment for an Add-On or Pack

–Registering your details

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Pay as you go roaming

Stable links
Our PAYG service is intended for customers with a stable link to the UK who travel abroad periodically. It is not intended for customers roaming on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. We will consider you have a stable link to the UK if spend a total of 60 days or more during any 120 day period within the UK. If your usage abroad in the EU/EEA/Switzerland exceeds this, you will be alerted by text, and after a 2-week period we may charge you for services you use or block your SIM card and roaming services. We’ll let you know before we do anything.

Valued Contributor

Don't quite understand how you can be chargeable for an action that didn't take place, i.e. texts that fail to go which is all I use my mobile phone for apart from using the camera but i but I never send photos to anyone.   Apart from that I use Whatsapp!   I never received any text message to say what the status of my service was with T-Mobile i.e. hibernation or stable links etc. which is why I am left wondering if I have a number or an account at all, though as I have stated my account is still visible online with my credit of £1.03.   So this is why I was contacting this forum in the first place because I haven't a clue what is happening on my service or account !

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If a text doesn't go you won't be charged for it. What do you mean that that's all you do?

If you use Whatsapp you are using data for which you bought a pack or add-on.

You will have also topped-up.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.