by SLiebs Investigator
Investigator

Why are outgoing calls barred from my mobile in South Africa?

I am currently on holiday in South Africa. My phone has automatically hooked up to a local network (MTN SA) and I can send and receive text messages. I cannot, however, make calls. I get an automated message telling me that the number I am trying is barred. It doesn't matter which number I try, I get the same message.

Roaming is activated on my phone. 

I had the same issue whilst travelling through Europe last summer (Italy, Switzerland, Germany and France). On my return, I spoke to someone at EE who said they couldn't see any reason why I was unable to make outgoing calls as everything looked OK at their end.

It is very unlikely to be the handset as I have changed it since last summer yet the problem persists. 

Does anyone have any ideas? My husband is on Vodafone and isn't having any of these issues.

Thank you! 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Why are outgoing calls barred from my mobile in South Africa?

Thank you very much @SLiebs

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie πŸ™‚

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

If on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c, not just your phone, before you left UK?

Try logging into your My EE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by SLiebs Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your reply. I didn't call before this trip but I can confirm that the roaming and premium boxes are both ticked.

When I spoke to EE after my trip to the continent last summer, they said everything was set up correctly for roaming and they couldn't pinpoint why I had been unable to make calls.

Just to add that I have tried the two other networks available to me in South Africa and calls are barred when using those networks too. 

by SLiebs Investigator
Investigator

Also to confirm - I am on contract. 

by

Good Afternoon @SLiebs

I hope you're having a fantastic time in South Africa :). 

What is the make and model of your phone?

Are you using the correct dialing code?

Is your phone connecting to 4G/LTE?

Speak soon, 

Katie

Highlighted
by SLiebs Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie

Now the rain has stopped, we're having a great time, thanks! 😊

I've got a Huawei P20. I did have the same problem with my old phone, too, which was a Samsung Galaxy A6.

Yes, I have +44 at the beginning of the number so all good for the dialling code.

Re. 4G: not sure. Is there a way I can check without turning the data on? I don't want to accidentally incur massive charges. I've been stung before! (Is not having the data on causing the problem?!) 

Thanks 

Sarah

by

Aww that's good to hear, fingers crossed it stays that way for you @SLiebs.

If you switch your mobile data on you won't be charged, you will need an international data pack for this to run. 

Please switch this on and let me know the outcome, 

Katie πŸ™‚

by SLiebs Investigator
Investigator

Done it! No 4G, H+ only.

Thanks 

Sarah

by
Solution

Thank you very much @SLiebs

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie πŸ™‚

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions