by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Why are mobile networks not catching on to affordable roaming?

This is more of a general wondering.

Cheap call-abroad services are a dime a dozen. Prepaid calling cards you buy at your newsagent, VoIP services you sign up for online using SIP or proprietary apps, 08 numbers with specific charges through which you call numbers abroad (actually I don't know if these still exist)...

And then you have cheap roaming services like roaming SIM cards, or even the local SIM cards you can buy as soon as you land at an airport abroad...

People have so many different ways of getting affordable communication either from the UK calling abroad, or when travelling abroad.

And yet, EE and all other networks are still left decades behind, charging the likes of £1 or 2 per minute for a call from e.g. Asian countries and another arm and leg for a few MB worth of data.

My question is, why hasn't EE (and all other UK providers) wised up to this? If there are so many small providers who can offer such ridiculously cheap rates, why don't the actual network get in on the game and offer those rates themselves?

Don't they realise how much revenue they are losing and how much they could potentially claw back?

I never pay more than 1p/min to call landlines in Europe or the US, and no more than about 7p/min to call mobiles in Europe. A few p/min more and I am calling family halfway round the world near the Pacific ocean!

Travelling, I recently discovered Flexiroam with local data packs for most countries in the world that are enormously cheaper than UK mobile networks' offerings, and there's always the local SIM card route.

It's baffling that UK networks haven't come into this game - surely it would be so much more convenient for us customers to just use our regular phone & SIM card abroad than to have to switch services, and UK networks can capitalise on that.

Am I missing something?

4 REPLIES 4
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Why are mobile networks not catching on to affordable roaming?

Hi,

There is a free “calling abroad” add-on for pay monthly customers, which gives you a reduced rate on making international calls from the uk.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/ee-pay-monthly-calling-abroad-add-ons-terms-2709...

W

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I suspect you have already answered the question yourself. The big networks make millions of £s by not offering such cheap services.

And I'm one of the fools who pay the silly rates, and it's purely down to laziness and convenience.

Also worth noting, that EU roaming is only affordable by law, the networks still charge each other for us to use their services, so they have to make that back one way or another.

ewan

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@winston wrote:

There is a free “calling abroad” add-on for pay monthly customers, which gives you a reduced rate on making international calls from the uk.

Yep, I have that. The prices still are way too expensive though, e.g.:

Greece - 8p landlines, 20p mobiles (I can call them for 1p landlines, 7p mobiles)

Philippines - 14p landlines, 25p mobiles (I can call them for 8p landlines, 12p mobiles)

USA - 8p/8p (I can call for 1p/1p!)

Argentina - 13p/25p (I can call for 2p/12p)

Europe - 8p/20p (I can call for about 1p/7p)

@ewanrw wrote:

The big networks make millions of £s by not offering such cheap services.

My argument is they are actually not making that much as (hopefully!!) fewer and fewer people will be using them to call abroad when the offering is so wide and cheap.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

P.S. I now realise my topic title should say "affordable calls abroad" as I didn't really mean roaming!

If a mod can edit it, please do.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.