by JonathanBrewer Investigator
Investigator

Who no connection in South Korea?

My mobile roams globally, usually without difficulty. But I cannot make/receive calls or texts in South Korea. Exactly the same thing happened last year. Why?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Who no connection in South Korea?

Hi @JonathanBrewer.

Thank you for coming back to us with your solution 🙂

I'm glad you've got a connection now, I hope you enjoy the rest of your time away.

Jon

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable

It's probably because the vast majority of South Korea mobile networks are CDMA instead of GSM and GSM handsets (which we use) wont work on CDMA mobile networks.

4G *may* work for data but it's unlikely to work with voice as you can't use VoLTE whilst roaming.

Try turning 4G off to see if 3G still works as apparently there is some 2100Mhz 3G there which is the same frequency we use here.

Investigator

Thank you. I've switched off 4G but the phone is still not connected. Any other suggestions please?

And how can we identify this problem before we travel? I use the phone for two-factor authentication to access my email account, and I am locked out of that as well.

by

Hi @JonathanBrewer.

Welcome to the community, I hope you're having a brilliant time in South Korea.

Could you try manually selecting a different available network (keeping 4G off):

Let me know what happens.

Device type Steps
Apple Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF
Android Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
Windows Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Chris

Investigator

Thank you.

When I tap "network operators" I get two options: Search networks and Search authomatically, but when I tap either I jyst get a blue spinning circle.

Occasionally the words "SKTelecom" a local provider appear top left on the home screen but even when they do I have no connection.

by

Hi @JonathanBrewer.

How long are you waiting for the available networks to appear? It can take a few minutes to search for them.

Is there anyone with you who is using a UK mobile?

Hope to hear back form you soon.

Jon

Investigator

Thank you. I do now have a connection, via SKTelecom. It's intermittent. The trick seems to be to switch from GSM to WCDMA then wait a few minutes. 

by
Solution

Hi @JonathanBrewer.

Thank you for coming back to us with your solution 🙂

I'm glad you've got a connection now, I hope you enjoy the rest of your time away.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.