by Moonraker680 Investigator
Investigator

When in France, I can call French numbers, but not send text messages to them.

I had a particular problem, when I was in France recently, because a French person wanted to receive text messages from me, rather than voice calls. The phone calls worked, but the texts, to the same number, failed. Any ideas why this might happen?

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: When in France, I can call French numbers, but not send text messages to the

Hello there @Moonraker680.

Thanks for coming here.

Could you send texts to other international numbers ok?

Could you receive texts ok?

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Investigator

Re: When in France, I can call French numbers, but not send text messages to the

I only tried the one number, but I tried it both with and without the France international code and kept on getting the message 'not sent'. Accordingly, when I used the number as a telephone, I was surprised when the lady answered. She was at work and it was inappropriate for her to receive calls, but a few minutes later her husband rang from another number and that was OK. I did not think to ask either of them to send me a text.

I also tried to text to the number a few days later, without success, so the problem was not a transient one.

by

Hi @Moonraker680,

What type of phone are you using?

Are you using a pay as you go or pay monthly plan?

Thanks

James

Investigator

It's a cheap Nokia which I keep for emergencies and use on a PAYG basis. I have used it occasionally for texting in the UK, but never before abroad. Can't see why it would not work in Europe? The phone locked on to the Orange Fr network when I arrived in France, and I got the usual "Welcome to France" text from EE, outlining the costs of telephoning and texting. As far as I know the phone has always been enabled for roaming.

This isn't important really, because I had access to Wifi and the phone is very much a secondary device for me. Just curious as to why it did not work properly.

John

by

Hi @Moonraker680,

It's odd that you can make a call but not text.

It's worth trying to select a different network manually in your settings to see if that helps.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.