by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

What is the UK/EU Data add-on?

I'm going over to the Canary Island for five months, and understand the stable link policy will probably apply in my case. At the end of the two months, in the document about extra charges outside of my monthly plan it says for data/internet "Buy a UK/EU data add-on"

https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/canary...

Sounds fine, but there is no such add on available! The nearest I can find is the travel data pass, but this doesn't list EU or the Canary Islands as a destination.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad/travel-data-pass

I've checked all the add-ons available in "My Account" and nothing show up.

Any ideas? Am I missing something or is the documentation wrong?

Thanks. Ray

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: What is the UK/EU Data add-on?

Are you on contract or PAYG?

What does http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase when not connected to WiFi offer you?

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave to check roaming is enabled on your account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Contract with an old SIM only plan. Turned off WiFi on the phone and searched on the EE App for add ons, roaming. Just the previously mentioned Travel Data Pass appears on the list. Maybe its an option that only appears once you've fallen into default with the FUP.

Just to add to the confusion, document

https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/ee-pay-monthly-non-standard-30092019.pdf

page 12 has a table showing "Stable link and volume based data FUPs" which is in conflict with the Canary Islands roaming page which suggests receiving calls is free at all times. The data in the table shows:.

Making a call per minute 3.2p

Receiving a call per minute 0.9p

Sending an SMS per SMS 1p

Using data 0.6p/MB

If I understand correctly, these are the charges that will probably apply in my case if I stay out of the UK for five months and FUP kicks in.

Appreciate your patience, just trying to avoid one of those headline grabbing big mobile bills!!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rbs_gb  for the first two months out of the five you’ll be able to use your allowances as the Canary Islands as it’s a part of Spain and Spain being in the EU.    After the first 2 months no add on will reduce costs as you’ve not kept the stable link.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That table in the Non-Standard Charges are the surcharges when you exhibit a non-stable link with the UK or exceed your data FUP. They are not mentioned in the Canary Islands roaming page  which only holds while you exhibit a stable link with the UK & are within your data FUP.

So, taking your example of receiving a call:

• For the 1st 2 months you are out of UK receiving calls are free.
  • From 2 months & 1 day receiving calls cost 0.9p / min.

I never suggested to turn off WiFi & search MyEE, but to access the URL I gave you. Also you don't want a roaming add-on but just an ordinary UK/EU data add-on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

Thanks to both of you. So if I understand correctly, the roaming info for the Canary Islands (or anywhere else) in column two is "out of contract allowances but within FUP". Once the system deems you are out of FUP, then the surcharges in the table apply come what may, so there is no point buying any kind of add-on.

Clear as mud, ain't it? Seriously, grateful to you both as I think I've now understood where I stand. Easy solution is going to be a second phone and a couple of PAYG data sims to use as a mobile hotspot and turn off data roaming on the phone as at £6 per gb surcharge for three months, and a routine consumption of 15gb per month that will certainly save me money.

Cheers

Ray

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rbs_gb wrote:

So if I understand correctly, the roaming info for the Canary Islands (or anywhere else) in column two is "out of contract allowances but within FUP".

I'm not sure I follow that. In the EU the 2nd column is for when you exceed your plan allowance, e.g. if you have a plan with 1000 UK/EU mins / month & you use 1500 mins that month while roaming the last 500 mins will be charged as per the 2nd column. Outside the EU there is only 1 column.

I'm not convinced that buying a paid-for UK/EU data add-on would count towards the !5 GB FUP.

"5. UK data add-ons can also be used in EU/EEA/Switzerland when you have used up all your UK allowance."

I read the 15 GB FUP as only applying to your plan allowance:

"Fair use amount
If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming)."

Did you ever try my EE Add-on link?

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

"I'm not sure I follow that. In the EU the 2nd column is for when you exceed your plan allowance, e.g. if you have a plan with 1000 UK/EU mins / month & you use 1500 mins that month while roaming the last 500 mins will be charged as per the 2nd column."

As I put it, 500 minutes over contract allowance and you pay as in Column 2 but ONLY while you are within FUP. Otherwise you will be charged 1500 minutes at FUP rates.

The point about column two is that it isn't clear exactly what it refers to. Nowhere on this document does it even mention FUP. You guys may know, but to the consumer reading it for the first time the wording is apalling. Ideally the roaming pages would have three columns: column 1, usage within plan and within FUP; Column 2 would be the charges for usage over plan and above plan allowance; Column 3 would be the charges once you go beyond the 2months FUP. The column headings need to be much clearer in my opinion. Cost outside of allowances are not the same as costs outside of FUP, and the roaming document does not reflect that.

I did indeed use the link earlier. It tells me in red letters "You're currently blocked from buying data add-ons".

Cheers

Ray

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.